View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do you allow your 8 year old to do??

DSD will be 11 next week. She has had a digital camera and a cell phone since she was 8. I really don't understand what the stink is about a digital camera. You can buy a pretty decent point and shoot for like $75. I have no idea how much DSD's camera cost. My MIL bought it for her. Why shouldn't she have one?

I can understand why people don't think an 8 year old should have a cell phone. I didn't think it was a good idea at first either. She is constantly going back and forth between our house and her mom's house though. It is so nice to get a good-night call or text from her. It makes communicating with her when she's not here so much easier. She is restricted from calling or texting anyone her parents didn't program into her phone. It's just a very basic phone. It has no internet access. She is very appropriate with it. I am very glad she has it.

She has a Kindle at her mom's house. I have no idea if it's just a basic Kindle or if it's capable of browsing the net. Her mom is a very sharp lady and I'm certain she monitors it appropriately. We have family iPad & a touch screen desktop computer at our house. She uses them all the time. We have very strict rules on internet use. I also monitor the kids closely when they are on the computers.

I think it's unrealistic to restrict kids from technology. I think it's our job as parents to teach kids to use technology safely. We need to have open discussions with our kids about what is and isn't safe and appropriate. We need to monitor them heavily.

ETA: Facebook is absolutely out of the question for now. We have told her that she must be 18. I think that might bend a bit when she's in high school. For now though, she can continue to think that it's totally off limits to her until she's an adult. Also, we haven't even begun to discuss dating. I don't think she's interested in the slightest yet. It certainly won't be happening in the next few years!

Last edited by ashley84; 01-18-2013 at 04:37 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote