View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
ThreeLittleLovies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much is your monthly grocery budget?

We are a family of 5, although my daughter is only 15 weeks so she only eats from me. We spend about $100 a week. It takes a lot of listing and meal planning and I still go over sometimes because my husband eats A LOT.

I stick to really really simple stuff most of the time because when I start trying new things I over spend. If I want to try adding new recipes I usually go slow, like one new thing a week so it doesn't break my budget.

We also have a list of family staples. These are things that we always use up and need. From that list I can make a ton of stuff. It has stuff like milk, eggs, sugar, ground turkey, veg oil, cheerios, coffee, canned tomatoes, etc.

For breakfast this is what I always have available: Eggs, Cheerios, whole grain quick oats (we sweeten them with honey and cinnamin). I always have ingrediants for homemade pancakes and French toast, which is basically flour, eggs, sugar.

Lunches: Whole wheat sandwhiches. Pb&J or turkey with mayo or tuna. Canned, frozen or fesh veggies (whatever is in season/on sae) and something sweet like fresh fruit or applesauce or yogurt. We also do sweet potato fries a lot. And we do leftovers from dinner.

Dinner: Simple stuff like baked chicken, veg and starch. Whole grain pasta and sauce w a little groud turkey. I get a lot of simple, affordable ideas from pinterest.

I spent $15 dollars on a spice rack from Target. It came with 20 of the basic spices that recipes call for for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy them individually. I also buy the store brand for most everything.

Snacks are applesauce, yogurt, dry cereal, raisens, bananas, grapes, graham crackers, Nutella and whatever is on sale.
ThreeLittleLovies is offline   Reply With Quote