View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Please help me keep going...

So another update, I got a medela symphony this morning and I am pumping every two hours. Perhaps the best update is that I called my midwife and let her know what was happening. She had me come over immediately and agreed that my little one did have a mild tongue tie. She is a CNM and CNP and said she will clip her frenulum. She looked at my nipples and agreed that they needed to heal so we are postponing the procedure for a week to ten days so we can put her back on the breast as soon as its clipped. I am so relieved that I think we've figured out the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Sounds like good advice. Hopefully it goes well!! Don't cry mama, you are doing everything in your power for your LO. My 1st refused to BF, so got pumped milk til I dried up at 4 months. My 2nd needed a nipple shield for the 1st 3 months. You are doing you're best!!
Thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
FWIW, I had scabbed nipples in the early days with both of my babies. Even after nursing baby 1 for 2.5 years my nipples still took a beating the first two weeks with baby2. I remember cracking up the scabs to make sure the milk got through (thank goodness for pain meds, lol). I won't say it's normal, but it was normal for me, and I think you will find relief right around the corner.
Yowch! I hope that's not a normal occurrence for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoclaire View Post
The same thing happened to me! Bleeding scabbed nipples by day 3. It was awful. Those little pink gums feel like razors! The LC at the hospital gave me a prescription nipple cream and nipple shield. The cream was great! Really numbed the pain. The shield worked but I never weaned off it. My nipples healed completely by 8 weeks and I nursed for 9 months.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Thank you, its so good to hear stories from mama that have gone through similar things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31 View Post
Girl I know how you feel! I was determined to EBF for multiple reasons and ended up almost every feeding in years because of latch issues or over let down and baby would wail or because of pain. I felt so alone but was encouraged that my body was made to do this and was best for my baby AND my body and wasn't willing to give up just yet. I never took a support class, although that probably would have been wonderful and I should have! My husband actually was a huge supporter for me and rooted me on the continue. He had to speak encouraging words over me almost daily but I was also a new mom and had no idea what I was doing wrong even though I had talked to friends and had tons of BFing books and had studied all the positions.

Don't give up just yet momma! Looking back now at my 2.5yo little boy and the close bond we have, I am so blessed and thankful that I didn't give up the multiple times I wanted too.

I would definitely join a class...check out baby boutiques around you area and also get on the website KellyMom. I was referred there by an acquaintance and it has been such a huge informational outlet for every question and concern I've had regarding BFing.

Hang in there! You're walking where millions of mommas have been before and have made it through!
I have gone to a support group for breastfeeding and it was super encouraging. Thank you for sharing your story with me.