View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: SAHPs: How much do you play with your kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
I send mine OUT to play a LOT (even the 2 year old). I entertain them as babies and infants and when they are ready to go explore I release them. I don't remember my parents playing with us often (I was #2 of 6 in our household) but we had a BLAST growing up. We were always outside or in the basement building forts and crashing cars and stuff.

I let mine figure disagreements out between themselves for the most part. It's a valuable life skill to be able to compromise and think creatively when you don't agree. If there aren't [real] tears I don't go in -- unless I'm just o.v.e.r. the fighting for the day.

I think you are doing just fine. Find a hobby that you can do with interruptions and give take some time to create a space that they can learn to really enjoy! Way to go mama on recognizing that you need some time as well.

ETA: Oh, we do crafts often but not very complicated ones (since they really can't sit still very long) and then they are back to playing. We also read together and color sometimes or play card games. Most everything else is free play where they get to make up the rules/boundaries/time limits...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I try to give them 15 min. a day of quality one on one interaction. Try, not always successful. Those activities include impromptu dance party, helping me make food, reading a few books etc. But otherwise they free play. I try not to get involved unless they need help or direction like doing an art project, painting etc. I sit directly next to my DD when coloring and doing play-doh because she is prone to stick things in her mouth.

I go about my day and incorporate them into it. If I need to wash the dishes, fold laundry etc. then I do and they tag along and/or help. My 6 year old is able to fold and put clothes away, dust, put away dishes. They fight a lot. Either they are best friends or bitter enemies. I let them handle it. Hitting or hurting each other is not acceptable and I get involved but if it's over a toy or someone said someone else was not the boss of them, I'm sorry I just don't have the energy to manage that.
Both of these. ^^

I dont play with them. I incorporate them into tasks and we usually do something crafty each day.

When the weather is nice, I send them all outside to play in the fenced back yard.

We usually tell the oldrr 2 (5&3) "figure it out or duke it out". There is very rarely any hitting now that my 5 yr old figured out the 3 yr old can hold her own, lol. Mainly they bargain and trade to get what they want. Im always surprised at the solutions they come up with.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote