Thread: food co-ops
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: food co-ops

What kind of co-op do you mean? A co-op, just in general terms, is a group of people joining forces with goods and/or finances to recieve goods or services at a discount. For food, it could be a local CSA or an actual storefront or anything in between. Here, we have a store that is a natural/organic co-op. You pay an annual membership to recieve a discount on the food they sell. It is open to the public as well, but obviously non-members don't get the discount. We also have a variety of CSAs (community supported agriculture) where a bunch of people pay a farm before the planting season, and they receive a share of the produce after it is harvested (there are also slightly mroe expensive options, with less commitment, like Bountiful Baskets; you can order those 1 week at a time and you don't have to pay for the whole season ahead of time, but overall it adds up to be more expensive--still cheaper than grocery store though). There are also bulk ordering co-ops, like Azure Standard and Frontier (my local grocery store orders Frontier spices and coffee, in addition to some other bulk items).

To find these, I just googled my town and what I was looking for
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote