View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I have a handful of Alvas. They are perfectly adequate diapers.

Mine have been in a rotation of 20 diapers for about a year now. I wash on hot, and I haven't had a single one delaminate or have bad elastic. The only diapers I have had problems with this go round are Flips, who seem to have notoriously weak elastic.

I have two function complaints with Alvas.

My daughter went through an awkward phase where I couldn't get the waist to not gape. It didn't last long, they fit fine again now, but this isn't a problem I had with an of my Cottonbabies diapers because they have the oh so useful stretchy tabs.

My other compliant is the lack of the belly strip of PUL on the inside of the diaper. You have to be careful in how the top front of the diaper lays or you can get a wet waist band, especially when baby is wearing something stretchy like leggings.

But, overall I think they are very good diapers and I frequently recommend them to cloth curious friends and family who don't want to shell out $18+ per diaper to get a "modern" cloth diaper to try.

I stuff mine with Thirsties duo hemp prefolds, size 2 and my daughter is on the medium setting on Alvas. I bought my first one from eBay with the included microfiber insert and felt it was too short. I think it would work fine on the small setting but it was way too short for the medium setting. It is about the same length as the newborn insert that comes with BGs, though it is twice as thick.

I stuffed with padfolded flats for about 6 months and loved that until she started out wetting those in under an hour. Stuffing with padfolded flats was very trim. The Thirsties hemp prefolds aren't quite so trim, but that's what works for us and she is such a big girl now the extra bulk isn't a big deal.
L J is online now   Reply With Quote