Thread: Chores
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores

My kids are 7, 5, 5, 2, 2 and 3 mos We have a chore chart on the wall. I'll include a link to the one we have. They get a ticket for every chore they do. If they don't do one, they get one taken away. Each ticket is worth $.05. Every weekend, we have a ticket/family night. It costs 5 tickets (VERY easy to achieve) to join in. Then, they can "buy" treats (a popsicle, small piece of candy, or something else fun but not too overboard and only 1 sugary item) and we watch a movie or play a game. Any tickets they don't use, they trade for money. The kids LOVE this. We were supposed to have it tonight, but my in-laws came to dinner at the last minute. We felt they would rather see their grandparents than do our regular night and we would just turn in all tickets for money. We were wrong. They were disappointed and asked why their grandparents had to come tonight.

As for what my kids do, they all pick up toys (not officially a chore to get a ticket for), put their dirty and clean clothing away (no ticket), make their beds, set the table, clear the table, wipe the table, and unload some of the dishwasher (basically just the silverware because they can't reach the cabinet). The 5 year olds and 7 year old also vacuum, sweep and mop the kitchen floor, dust, help cook, put groceries away, feed the turtles and cats and soon the 7 year old will be cleaning the cat boxes. They are also going to be learning to do laundry and fold laundry very soon, probably next week. I already ask them to change from the washer to the dryer sometimes.

Kids can do a lot more than we think they can, especially if we take the time to teach them and find ways to adapt things to them, like using chairs. I know mine can do more than they do now. We are working on it. They don't do each thing every day, BTW.

Here is the chore chart we use.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschoole...art-cards.html

I change the way it is used just slightly, but it looks almost exactly the same. I also am about to change mine and put the names on the wall next to the chart instead of actually on it giving me 7 days across because my kids try to do things everyday and I want them to be able to. They will put their tickets in an envelope instead of on the chart. Ultimately though, it looks basically the same.

This was way more than you wanted. Sorry.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote