View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
ThreeLittleLovies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much is your monthly grocery budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31 View Post
How is $100 a week even possible???
I mean you've gotta have already a lot of staple items correct?? I just can't wrap my mind around just $100!

-Not saying anyone on here does or doesn't, BUT I don't want tips abt how shopping at Walmart is the cheapest deal. I've read mommy blogs and other articles and all the budget ones say they shop at Walmart to save money and I won't shop there anymore. Horrible standards and horrible service won't allow me to overlook their "low prices".

Has anyone shopped with Azure Standard before??
We don't have Azure around here. I live in the middle of no where in Virginia. The closest store is Food Lion and it's 20 minutes away. Next is Wal-mart about 35 minutes away. Our Wal-mart is only a month old and I have had an ok experience there. If I want to shop anywhere else I have to travel over an hour.

Yes, we try to keep stock in staple items. It took us awhile to get to that point though. I had to make a list of staples and try to build it up slowly when I had the extra money.

Have you looked around pinterest for dinner ideas? Try searching for 5 ingrediant meals. Keep it simple. Don't buy a ton of packaged snacks. Stick to the perimeter of the store. I went shopping for the week yesterday and spent $90ish. This is what we are having for dinner this week:

Baked chicken $5 (honey $4 and soy $2 for seasoning for a asian taste) with fresh squash and zuchinni $4, brown rice. We will now have honey to sweeten our oatmeal and for other recipes for awhile. Soy too!

Chicken drumsticks $7, green beans $2 and whatever other leftover sides we have. There are enough drumsticks for leftovers for lunch.

2 nights we are having a pasta dish with whole grain noodles $2 and tomato sauce$3 and ground turkey $3. I have some fresh mushrooms and frozen peas i'm going to beef it up with. I also bought a block of cheese for something else that I may add if I have enough left.

Breasfast for dinner, I have enough for 2 dinners (if needed) and enough for breakfast. But we usually have cereal or oatmeal. 18 eggs $2.5, low sodium nitrate free turkey bacon $2.5. I have the flour and such for homemade pancakes. We don't use syrup. Oh and I got whole grain bread for $2.5 for toast and lunch sandwiches.

Cheddar broc soup mix, just add water $3 and grilled cheese $3 on whole grain french baguet$1.70. The soup mix is SO good although very processed. Cheap dinner and always leftovers for lunch.

BLT's with the rest of the french baguet and turkey bacon. Got baby spinach$3 instead of lettuce and tomatoes $3. Will have left over sides, like green beans with this.

Ground turkey $3 taco's. 18 whole grain taco shells $2. I have taco seasoning, hot sauce and salsa already. Using leftover tomato and spinach from BLT's. Bought a big block of cheese to shred for $6(might use with pasta if there is enough). Will use some of the cheese, tomato and spinach in morning eggs.

The rest was spent on oatmeal, bananas, animal crackers, yogurt, milk, orange juice... and something else i'm sure.

I have to portion out our dinners instead of putting it all out there on the table. Otherwise my husband will throw down enough for 3 grown men. I used to try to feed him until he was stuffed but have learned that is actually very bad. Bad for our budget and bad for his health. So I make sure he has enough to satisfy. But he always eats whatt's left on our plates anyway.

Sorry... I got carried away with this reply. I just wanted to show you it's possible. I shopped at Food Lion.
ThreeLittleLovies is offline   Reply With Quote