View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My budget is roughly $350 a month for 4 people. That includes toiletries, and other household products. I keep a very solid list of basics in the house at all times, so grocery shopping is more about replenishing basics and picking up specialty items.

Here's an example:
Breakfasts - I keep a basic stock of cereal, homemade granola, eggs and pancake stuff. This week, I needed to replenish just eggs and sugar.
Lunches - Sandwiches or leftovers. I bought bread (only because it was on sale, otherwise I would have made it) and lunchmeat.
Dinners this week - Korean meat and lettuce wraps (bought ground turkey, rice and leaf lettuce. Already had seasonings), spaghetti (bought pasta, bread crumbs, and canned tomato products. Already had ground beef, herbs, onion, garlic, and stuff for garlic bread), sausage and veggie pasta (bought sausage, broccoli and diced tomato. Already had onion, carrots and seasonings), chicken soup (already had everything for this: chicken, stock, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, seasonings, potatoes), black bean tacos (bought tortillas, cumin, chili powder, lettuce and salsa. Already had beans, cheese). That leaves two nights of leftovers or eating meals from the freezer (I often cook double batches and freeze the extra).

So, this week's grocery list was: eggs, sugar, bread, lunchmeat, ground turkey, rice, leaf lettuce, pasta, bread crumbs, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sausage, broccoli, tortillas, cumin, chili powder, and salsa. I always grab lots of fruit and veggies for snacking like apples, grapes, cucumbers, bell peppers. I also bought yogurt, almond milk, butter, napkins and a couple of other little snack things.

My total was $58. This was a slightly smaller than usual shopping trip, as I typically spend about $80-90 a week. Last week, however, was a bigger trip because I was out of a lot of things. A lot of that carried over to this week.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote