View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays?

It was my daughter's 3rd birthday today. She is in paid childcare in a center, so even though I didn't HAVE to take her (I took the other kids to my mom's place), I did. Also I figured they will do something special for her in the class and didn't want her to miss out on being the birthday girl for the day at 'school'. I only dropped her off at 10am and I spoke to the group leader (who strangely didn't even know it was her birthday today, even though they have all the birthdays up and you would think in a group of under 20 kids they would note the upcoming childrens' birthdays).

Anyway, I told her that I had brought some cupcakes for the children and if we could do them between 2:30 to 3pm as we had to go have birthday cake with my family. I came home, did a couple hours of sewing, then went to get her. When I got there, her two group leaders were not even in the classroom. They had a person I did not recognise and the center 'float' taking care of the kids. They both didn't know it was my child's birthday and I had to explain why I had come a little early and can we do the cupcakes. They handed out the cupcakes and sang happy birthday and that was it. The group leaders did not even come in to celebrate her birthday at school, one was on the computer outside the room.

I was peeved about it all. Firstly, it is her BIRTHDAY. I told them it is her birthday, and since I have not spent the day there I have no idea what they do for kids. I assumed they make it a bit of a special day like most childcares or preschools. They hadn't done anything special for her during the day, no birthday crown or anything. They didn't even seem to care! Secondly I spoke with two of them and made sure they knew I was coming back so that they could work it into their day, and they told me yes that time was fine, then they weren't even in there and hadn't told the people who were!

I could have kept her home with me for a few hours or at least taken her to my mom's place with the other kids for a swim and where they would have made her feel special. I really couldn't believe they did NOTHING for her!