KLadyBugMama
Registered Users
Formerly: faithfulorangekids
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
I agree with all your post except that it takes 7 years to be fluent in ASL . I was raised oral till college and I was fluent in a year and a half So for non-native signer it takes about the time it would take any other language acquisition.

For a native signer (child born deaf) being fluent is just like learning English (or whatever language a child hears/sees at home most). It's native eta- my 3 yr old is fluent in ASL (obviously not near 7) but its because she's constantly exposed to it

I've actually considered cued to teach English to my girls since we homeschool. Right now we use Reading Milestones which I like but just isn't cutting it. However cued might not work with a stone-deaf child ( like my dd2)
Hmm.. That's interesting! Thanks for letting me know about the 7 years!

Actually, your stone deaf child can learn it! Cued Speech do not require any amplification! It's visual with auditory support if desired but I know a few cuers who are stone deaf and was raised in cued speech.