View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
I guess maybe I just come from a different background to others. I do think a birthday is a big deal and that it should be a special day for a child. I'm not saying they have to go all out for your kid all day, but since there are only a few children, I would think the teacher should at least be organised enough to know whose birthdays are coming up, because I feel like their chosen career is childCARE, surely they care about the children? They have the same group all year, so it's not like they don't know the kids at all. It's not really about whether or not they have cupcakes or a snack or a carrot! It's about the fact that nobody cared that it was her birthday, and it makes me sad that they didn't go a little out of their way to make her feel special. AND all the other kids in the class when it is their birthdays I would hope they would do the same. It doesn't have to be much, just a special crown or badge or sticker, some special treatment for the day like being the leader.

Ah well, I am just interested to see that people have such a variety of experiences and expectations for birthdays.
Not all places do that. And really the older the child gets the less likely you are to get stuff like that. Just because they don't acknowledge a b-day or even remember it doesn't mean they don't care. I have trouble remembering the important dates in my own life, much less that of someone else's. I personally did do crowns and line leaders. About 3/4 of our parents never even cared to have the school do anything or acknowledge the b-day at school. Some would drop off cupcakes, some wouldn't do that or say anything to remind the teacher. And some would come in at snack time with treats. Its all about what you personally want. If you want her b-day to be special at school and the school doesn't do anything then send her in with a button or sticker. It will help the teacher remember and/or the kids in her class to remember. Its very easy to say well they only have 12 kids and they're in there all year, but in reality the number of kids that a child care professional sees in a center is insane. Yeah its only 12 this year (that is if they only have duties in one class. I was pre-k lead teacher and afternoon supervisor so I had 15 kids in my actual class and 100 that I was responsible for. It would be impossible to keep track of all those b-days) But honestly (and I know no parent wants to hear this) year after year they start to run together, as do their b-days, likes and dislikes. Good teachers keep notes and they still forget sometimes. It could have been an off day or it could be how they handle b-days normally.

If one of my kids didn't get acknowledged on a b-day, I might be bummed. But it wouldn't be a big deal to me, for me a simple Happy B-day is sufficient from a teacher. But we consider b-days more of a personal family thing. We make it special for them. We only have family and very close friends celebrate with us. B-days for us are intimate. We don't expect teachers or classmates to make them feel special on their b-days. That sounds snarky, its not meant that way. Its just not in our list of important stuff for our preschool. Do we like it and appreciate it if its done- yes, but we don't expect it. If it is a really big deal to you then question the director about what special things they do for b-days. If you don't like it then you may want to consider finding a place that better fits your personality.