Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nipple Shield question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Is your lactation person an IBCLC? That description of how to use the shield sounds inaccurate. If baby is basing tissue damage, then its not in properly. Did she tell you to turn it inside out (it'll look like a sombrero), place it on the nipple, and then turn it right side out once its on the nipple? It should you more closely that way.

And the milk should not be pooling in the tip of it, if that means there is a lot of empty space in the tip - that will encourage a very shallow latch, which is what causes the tissue damage.

I'd strongly encourage double checking with your LC, and if they're giving you this bad advice (and its not that you've misunderstood) I would get a different one. :-). Many "lactation consultants" are under-trained. The IBCLC credential is the gold standard, and much more training and experience is required before they are allowed tow IRL with the public.
I think I'll call her today and talk to her about my issue with the shield and verify what she told me . She didn't show me to turn it inside out. Just stretch it a bit and place over my nipple. I have kind of puffy areolas with kind of flat nipples and when I put it on I have at least an inch at the tip empty. The LC said the baby would "slurp" my nipple into the shield. Which she does do but then she ends up latched onto my nipple. I agree the latch is really shallow, that's the only way the baby could make the tip of my nipple bleed..

She's an RN and an IBCLC. I really like her and she's actually seen me for free twice which is super kind of her but then I am thinking what she's telling me about the shield doesnt seem right. Perhaps I do need to see a different LC just for another opinion.