01-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, formerly Vancouver, BC
Re: Toddler Discipline Tips
Isn't it a frustrating age/stage?!
Removing the audience works best for my 2.5yr old right now (ha! ask me again in another 2 wks & it will likely be different).
I've used these, all but the last are accompanied by purposeful ignoring of child & engaging with other child/spouse/person the phone (I pretend if no one is there):
- timeout area, with timer on to release
- room with door shut until ready to be coorperative/pleasant
- in room with door shut until ready to get dressed for bed
- leave the house to put other kid/bags in car if not getting outdoor gear on (I do go back for her - she just isn't in the first trip out)
- gently take their hand/arm/foot & walk them through whatever they need to do (ie pick up thrown toy & put back nicely)
Then I try to be really pleasant & reset the tone when timeout or removal from a situation is over - everything is a clean slate!
A (usually) happy wife mama to my BOGO girls, DD1 July 2010 and DD2 Dec 2011.