View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

daycare misgivings

This will be long, I'm sorry.

My daughter is in daycare two days a week, otherwise it's impossible for me to do my work. [ETA: I'm doing the barest minimum to scrape by as it is.] The daycare she goes to is near my husband's work so he takes her with him in the mornings, and picks her up in the afternoon on his way home. His boss also sends her children to the daycare. It is *much* more affordable than any others we've looked at.

However.

My tiny, precious daughter comes back reeking of cigarette smoke every time she goes there. I strip her off, fling her clothes in the wash and plop her in the bath as soon as she gets home. I won't let her wear her good coat there, because we couldn't get it washed and dried in time to wear it the next day. The daycare lady swears up and down that she only smokes outside, but I cannot fathom how this could be true when I can smell the smoke in the car after my daughter has been sitting in it.

Jammy *always* has diaper rash when she comes back from the daycare, and never any other time, and it looks like the irritation she'd get if she'd been sitting in poo for any length of time.

My last qualm is tenuous - but she keeps saying things are "bad". The dog will bark for example, and she'll point and call him bad. She was poised to draw with pen on her hand; I caught her eye, and she shook her head and said "bad". I hate the idea that my daughter is being called bad. It makes my heart turn over.

My husband is the one who interacts with the lady, as he drops Jams off in the morning, and his work and the daycare are an hour's drive away. I've spoken on the phone with her once. We won't be able to find another daycare as affordable and convenient as this one. If I can't work, I'll have to drop out of my degree - which I'm not wholly against, but I'd rather not have this be the issue that forces it.

I suppose my question is - would these concerns compel you to remove your child from the daycare, even if you'd have to quit your job/degree in order to manage it? Or do we stick it out for a couple of months until we find a better solution, on the grounds that I am not worried that my daughter will suffer major and irreparable harm?

Last edited by jam's mum; 01-28-2013 at 08:28 PM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote