View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: daycare providers -- how do you do it?

Well, I don't do it for free. That would be a lot harder to give up 10 hours a day for free.

BUT, I have a complete set up. I have a huge room dedicated to daycare, with big climbers, and tumbling mats etc. Then, I drag tables, art supplies, toys and more tumbling mats into the family room and kitchen, so the bigger kids have tons to do if i'm super busy.

Then, (and I swear, this is the only reason I'll take infants) I use baby carriers. I have slings, mei tais, Buckle ties, wraps.... and if I did not have those things, I wouldn't do it.

I've learned over time that Dr Brown's bottles are the spawn of Satan. I have never met so many babies with feeding problems until the Dr Brown's came out...now it takes forever to feed a baby, they are not relaxing while they eat, and it ends up being a stressful time. So, I will no longer accept an infant with the Dr Brown Bottles. People think they are great because it's the new popular thing.

I also put the infant down to sleep in a dark quiet room. Sleep begets sleep. If the child is not getting enough sleep, he or she will have more trouble sleeping all the time. They don't just become exhausted and sleep for four hours. They need to feel rested, fed, cared for, attached etc. When all of his or her needs are met the baby will start hanging out in a baby chair and watching all the fun. (but, they are still very hands on no matter what)