View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting some space (personal space)

I have 6 kids 7 and under. Sometimes one of them really needs some space for whatever reason. I don't mean physical space, but it does equate to that. I have 2 boys sharing a room. My 2.5 year old twins and my daughter all have their own room for now. We have a 5 bedroom house. So, when any of them needs time to themselves for one reason or another (in trouble or bad mood or whatever), I just send them to their own room.

One of my 5 year olds, the boy, and my 7 year old son share a room. It is fine most of the time, but today, the 5 year old was really in a bad mood. The 7 year old and my other 5 year old, the girl, where playing in there. So, the 5 year old boy was sitting on his bed playing legos and randomly saying mean things to them and such. (Being a 5 year old boy. ) Of course, telling them to ignore doesn't work. (insert more eye rolling here.) I gave him a couple of chances and then told him he had to leave and go to the playroom. They were being good. He was being mean. I felt he should leave.

I imagine this is going to come up more and more. I have a 3 month old boy who will eventually take one of the 2.5 year old's room and the 2.5 year old twins will share again. And of course, if we ever have more, they will continue to share. I never know exactly how to handle it when I need to send one to his room and the other wants to play or they are fighting and need to send them both or whatever.

How do you handle this? I'd like to hear other ideas and suggestions. Thanks for your input!