View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much is your monthly grocery budget?

We used to spend a lot and not have hardly anything to eat it felt like. I've really changed the way we buy our food:
--weekly CSA during the spring, summer, fall (I pay for it now and get it during those months)
--we have a meat shop here locally that buys free range chicken from a local farm. There is a group of us that buys it in bulk from the meat shop. The meat shop packages it up for us and gives us the bulk rate. About $40 for a case of whole chicken roasters, $90 for a case of boneless/skinless chicken breast. I store it in a deep freezer.
--I also belong to Azure Standard and purchase a lot of veggies/fruit through there during the winter months. I buy it in bulk and freeze it. I will buy 20lbs broccoli for about $22 and freeze it in bags. Same with apples. I also buy our bulk dry goods from here: flours, rice, beans, dried fruit, etc. I live in Indiana and they do deliver it here once per month. If you sign up on their website it will tell you where the nearest drop of point is for your area. Ours is at a Meijer right off the interstate.

I cook a lot of our meals. I will roast an entire chicken, eat from it, and then shred the rest of it and freeze it for a later meal. I've found that shopping at big box stores costs me more. I never shop at Walmart, I despise walmart. Find a local butcher or meat shop. They run weekly specials and stock up. Ask around and see if you can find a local group to buy meats in bulk.

I make pancakes, muffins, granola, oatmeal, etc from scratch. Those things are easy to make at home. We try to limit processed foods as much as possible because you do pay for the plastic and paper packaging.

I often will make a lot of beans or soup in the crockpot and then freeze the leftovers. Or make enough to have leftovers.

We spend about $500-$600 per month on groceries for a family of 5 with one on the way.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote