Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refusal to Vaccinate Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
These forms are the doctor's way of proving that you received informed consent and refused. If something bad were to happen and your doctor was sued, it protects him from liability. Whether you personally agree with the science - the risks and benefits of vaccines, those forms generally offer to you the best information that scientists/medical professionals agree upon. Signing those forms isn't agreeing that you are harming your child. It protects the doctor from liability if your child got sick from a VPD and you tried to sue.
Some of those forms actually open a parent to liability because some of them state that they are risking the life of their child and others by refusing the vaccine. I have signed a few refusal forms for my kids, and they simply stated "I am refusing vaccinations". They don't have to be the long, drawn-out, liability producing forms that are common place in some pediatrician's offices - some of which are worded almost as if to say, "call DCF because I am abusing my kids". It's a vaccine, just like any other medical choice that we make for our kids. Does the doc make you sign when they recommend antibiotics and you decide to wait and see? Does the doc make you sign when they recommend cutting out dairy and you decide not to follow their advice? Doctors aren't God, they aren't cops, they aren't judges. Failing to follow their advice does not require a signature. What protects doctors from liability is proper documentation of patient care. If a parent refuses a vaccine, the doctor simply needs to note that, and it would behoove them to also inform the parent of the risks and benefits, and document that, too.

Last edited by Green Decals; 02-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote