View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Refusal to Vaccinate Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Some of those forms actually open a parent to liability because some of them state that they are risking the life of their child and others by refusing the vaccine. I have signed a few refusal forms for my kids, and they simply stated "I am refusing vaccinations". They don't have to be the long, drawn-out, liability producing forms that are common place in some pediatrician's offices - some of which are worded almost as if to say, "call DCF because I am abusing my kids". It's a vaccine, just like any other medical choice that we make for our kids. Does the doc make you sign when they recommend antibiotics and you decide to wait and see? Does the doc make you sign when they recommend cutting out dairy and you decide not to follow their advice? Doctors aren't God, they aren't cops, they aren't judges. Failing to follow their advice does not require a signature.
While I agree with you that we all make medical choices for our kids, these aren't fair analogies. Refusing to vaccinate is more than a personal decision, it also affects children/society as a whole. Antibiotics, cutting out dairy, etc have consequences that stay within your "bubble" for lack of a better word. Those decisions do not affect the heath risk of others.

Imagine there is a family with a newborn sitting next to you in the waiting room while you are waiting for the ped to see your sick child. I don't think they would care if your child had a recurring ear infection that you were refusing to give antibiotics for. But if your child is sick with undiagnosed pertussis, that is a different risk altogether. Suddenly the health risk goes beyond how YOUR child is affected.....and you are putting a vulnerable newborn at risk (too young to be vaccinated). We all have the freedom to choose, but you have to remember that doctor's are trying to protect ALL of their patients.

Last edited by gigismomma; 02-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote