View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to Help Family with Deaf Infant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Thanks for all the info ladies! They are actually not in st. Louis or Springfield. They are about an hour from Springfield and 3-4 from St. Louis. Here's another question to add to my list...do deaf children typically start school at the same age as their peers? Or do they go for language or something before that?

They have filed for an evaluation with EI. What kind of services will they provide?

It's gettin closer to the next appointment...I can't imagine how nervous they must be because I'm nervous for them!
A lot depends on what route they want to take, and how they want to teach him to communicate.

For us, we knew we wanted DS to be an oral child. So our EI consisted of a teacher of the deaf coming to the house weekly from about 4 months until he aged out of EI at 3. Around 2, we added a Speech Therapist to the mix.

At three, they age out of EI and become the responsibility of the local school system. We moved so that he could attend an Oral Deaf preschool, where he goes from 9-1:30, M-F. His teacher is a teacher of the deaf, and he receives 1:1 ST for 30 minutes daily, plus 30 minutes a week of group ST. His whole school-day is centered around listening and speaking. And we supplement with at-home ST each afternoon based off of what his Speech Therapist sends home. We will send him to one extra year of PS, and in that last year, he'll be learning the standard kindergarden cirriculum...then when he's mainstreamed, his first year won't center around academics so much, rather his goal will be to learn to interact with hearing peers without all of the assistance he receives now. He'll be 6 when he enters mainstream kindergarden. His current school is expensive (when I first started looking in early 2011, I found tuition to be around $32K/year), but his school is an "Approved Private School," which means we receive state and county funding - it costs us nothing. The school system is required by law to provide a Free and Appropriate Public Education, so don't let them think about costs right now...NOTHING is off the table.

Also, not sure about your state, but in PA DS qualifies as a disabled child solely because of his hearing loss, meaning he qualifies for PA Medicaid - it's NOT income based, as most Medicaid is, and it's a huge help for things like batteries, his FM system, etc., and many use it to cover what private insurance doesn't when it comes to hearing aids and/or Cochlear Implants, including replacement costs. So something to ask about...

Last edited by mama2tommy; 02-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.
mama2tommy is offline   Reply With Quote