View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

I have an awesome one I developed for gluten free cookies on my blog. Let me go grab it.

Here ya go:
The best Chocolate chip cookies ever!
I've been working on this recipe for a while now. It's pretty good. Good enough that last week I made it for Justen and a batch of Tollhouse for Garrison and I. I ended up eating Justen's cookies because they were better than mine. Half the trick is in the freezing of the dough. Although they do work when fresh baked, they just turn out so much chewier when baked half frozen.

3/4 c. butter (I have used a mix of butter and margerine but we all know butter tastes so much better.
1 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 t. GF Vanilla
1/4 c. egg substitute or 1 large egg (done it both ways both work fine)
2 1/4 c. GF Mix (again Bette Hagman's recipe-see above recipe for proportions)
1 1/2 t. xantham gum
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt (scant)
8-12 oz. Chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375degrees F.
Prepare a greased baking sheet (I have forgotten to do this and it does work without just sometimes you mangle the cookies getting them off)
In a medium bowl, cream butter adn sugar. Gradually add egg adn vanulla while mixing. Sift together gluten free flour mix, baking soda, powder and salt. Stur into butter mix until blended. Then stir in chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop (looks like a tiny ice cream scoop) drop cookies 2 inches apart on prepared sheet. Then flatten slightly because they don't spread like gluten cookies. You will know if you forget to flatten them because you will have odd little dough cakes instead of flat, yummy, chewy cookies. Can do it with a teaspoon they just didn't turn out as thick and chewy.

Bake in preheated oven 6-8 min. or until just starting to brown. For chewier cookies, smack pan on counter when it comes out of the oven. Let cookies cool on the sheet for 2 min. until moving them to cooling racks.

Now the freezer part: I always make a huge batch and freeze so Justen can bake his own cookies whenever he wants. So I started scooping them out with the cookie baller thingy, really close together on a cookie sheet and then freezing. After a day I move them into a zip lock and he bakes as needed. As a side note, they are awesome frozen unbaked! To bake from frozen, put them on prepared sheet and let thaw about 20 min. (this time has been here in the winter so I'm sure it would be different if it were summer). You want them to be just thawed enough that you can smoosh them down a bit but they aren't all the way thawed. Then bake the 6-8 min (we prefer them slightly under done). They are awesome! We baked two batches side by side one night to see if the frozen ones really were better than the fresh ones, and for some reason they are.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote