View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meal Planning

I do it out of necessity. I don't get home until 5:30 most nights so if I'm not prepared with a meal idea we eat sandwiches or mac n cheese. I use the printable from this site...right now I'm using 2 copies...but I may create one similar with more blocks at the top. I color-coordinate all the ingredients needed for the meals with that printable...the stuff I have in black, the stuff I need in another color.

I plan based on a few things. First I look at my week and note if there is a night that I know we will be eating away from home or a night that will require a quick meal. Then I look at the meats and supplies I have in my pantry. Lastly I look at sales and see what is cheap that week.

I try to plan based on leftovers too. Like on Friday we had steak for supper. I knew we would have leftovers so I planned tonight's meal to use the leftovers. If I know I'm making 2 chicken dishes that week I try to cook it all at once to save time.

I usually plan on Thursday or Friday because that's when I shop. But you could plan at any time. I tried several different apps and printables before I found one that worked for me.

I also have a list of all the meals I make hanging on my fridge. I have them categorized by main meat for the meal so if I know I have a pound of ground turkey in the fridge but I'm not sure what to make with it I glance at the list and realize we haven't had goulash in a month...and I add it to the menu.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote