View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Defiant little girl...I have to tell my friend that her DD can't play with DS any

I forgot to mention that her mom told me that she hurts their cats a lot. Scary.

I have never had kids that did this kind of thing so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I've been thinking about this all day, and I almost feel like if I'm not completely honest I am doing her a disservice. I dont want her thinking that behavior is normal. But maybe that's not my problem...

I can't quote for some reason on my tablet but to answer some questions, usually when rosie does something bad and the parents are there, they do very little. They are very passive and just mentiin something to her like, "rosie, we don't hurt people." But it's very casual and calm and not really followed up. It's almost like they think this kind of behavior is to be expected and therefore ok. When I have disciplined her the few short times I watched her without her mom, I got down to her level and made her look at me, told her that that kind of behavior is not ok in my house, etc. Once she was throwing dirt from a shovel at my DS and I took the shovel from her, told her that if she did that again I woukd be taking it away, gave the shovel back, and she never did it again. She knew I was serious. I thought that I could get a handle on her, I know many kids behave well for others and not their parents. But I just dont think I have the energy to deal with her, nor do I think it's my responsibility to take her on as my project. Her parents need to deal with it.

This is such an awkward situation too because her DH works for my DH. And they are invited to our neighborhood brunch tomorrow but I don't want them to come.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote