View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Pre-school curriculum (3 & 4 year olds)

As a FTM, I do not know what is taught at that age. I'm a WOHM, and my son is in daycare full time. He is currently only 21 months, but he already knows all his basic colors (essentially rainbow colors + pink, we are working on black and white). He can sing the ABC song with very little help, and can count to 10. He knows some shapes (circle, oval, triangle, star, and octagon--believe it or not octagon is his strongest one, he points them out all the time when we are out and about). He knows some of his letters by sight, I'd say 8 at this point. (All the kids in his class sit by their letters at snack time, so he seems the letters and can tell me whose name starts with each of the letters: B,D,E,H,J,S, and O, as well as do it backwards (Like he can answer, what does Hannah start with?). He also knows X because he pointed at one and called it a star and I corrected it. I realize that all this knowledge is still very superficial. Like being able to count to 10 doesn't mean he could look at a group of objects and tell me how many are in it. Still, I honestly thought this was the kind of stuff they did in 3 and 4 year old preschool classes!! Since he already knows all this stuff and still has another year and half until 3 year preschool, I'm starting to really wonder what they will be teaching him. So, what DO they teach in preschool?
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote