View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pre-school curriculum (3 & 4 year olds)

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/common.../nyslsprek.pdf

My 4 year old daughter is in NYS pre-k. It is school, not daycare. They do a lot of ritualized things, such as hanging up coats, reciting the pledge, picking a helper for the day, talking about the weather, having snack time, getting coats on. All that stuff is just as important as the ABCs.

They also teach letters upper and lowercase, until they know it 100%. My daughter has always been pretty amazing to us in what she knows, but until a month ago there were just a few letters that were a bit tricky. Like lowercase d and b. If you gave her one chance to tell you what it was, she might be right and might not. This stuff gets smoothed out and quantified in school. She read her first word a week ago. She's been reading books that the class has gone over a million times and so she remembers them, but last week she looked at one of her day of the week underpants and sounded out the word Sunday.

They do a lot of cutting and pasting, much to my daughter's dismay. If there's something she doesn't enjoy it's the "hard work" of cutting. But if you want to get an idea of the ideas behind what they do for that age, the above pdf is a good doc to look through.