View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

"He's so skinny!" and "He's so tiny!"

I hear these things about my little guy all the time and now its starting to make me wonder.

We have had an up and down relationship with breastfeeding. We were doing great, then we dealt with reflux, then he was sick, then AF came back, supply problems, bottle problems etc.

At one point he was almost all formula. By now we are back to the breast 100% full time. Until a few days ago, he was getting 1 bottle of 4 oz of formula at night before bed. I am nursing and/or pumping as often as I can, I would say he averages about every 3 hours. We do a little bit of "bait and switch" nursing where I am having to substitute the pacifier for a nipple, but not a lot of it, mostly in the evening. His wet diapers seem to be fine, and he's not showing any signs of dehydration, he poops once every two or three days, but has always been that way.

We have a regular well baby visit scheduled for Tuesday, so I will get a current weight for him at that point. Two months ago, when we started the reflux meds, he was 10lbs and 10oz. He's growing long ways, and has always been a long skinny baby, and he is outgrowing the 3 months clothes in length.

But everyone keeps telling me he's so skinny. You can feel his little ribs when you hold him, though it's not like they are prominently protruding or anything. And he's generally a pretty happy baby, not crying all the time like a baby who's not getting enough to eat would.

Is it a problem that he's so skinny? My brother was a tall skinny kid, and still today is tall and skinny.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote