View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: An alternative to store bought formula!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresor27 View Post
Exactly, i have a toddler that requires attention as well, this sounds Very time consuming...no matter how much I wish i could do it, just not feasible for us either.

I'm happy to say I did find a couple of places where i can find just pasteurized, non-homogenized, grass fed milk (1 being Natural by Nature, and the other one that Whole Foods has, Skytop Farms). And I cd order the kit from Radiant Life, and i already watched the video about making milk kefir...seems simple enough. I guess i just have to try and start making formula and just get into the swing of it and the timing. For example, with making the kefir - looks like i could just make a new batch overnight every time...? I also still have to figure out where to buy cream (Do you know what cream they are referring to in the WAPF recipe - i mean is it the same as Heavy Cream or Light cream that supermkts sell?) and the whey. I know that when you make the kefir if you leave it too long then it turns into curds and whey...but if i let it get to that point for the whey, then i don't have my kefir to culture the milk with. Actually that's something i need to ask you --just how much of the kefir do i put into the milk to culture it? Seems like you've been doing this a while, i guess you have it down pat now! I really appreciate your help with this...starting to feel much better for my little one already
For the kefir, over time your grains will multiply and eventually you won't have to make a new batch every night. but for now, i would just set up a new batch every night, especially since it only takes a minute or two. It's about a tbsp per cup. it doesn't need to be too exact.

Use heavy cream like what you would find at the supermarket.

as far as the whey, you can make that yourself too. Just get some whole milk yogurt, I use the whole milk yogurt by Stonyfield Organic. You can find it at most grocery stores. make sure there is no flavor. Get a large bowl and a cheesecloth. Put the cheesecloth over the bowl and pour the whole container into the cheesecloth. wrap the cheesecloth around the yogurt and tie it off. hang it off of a cabinet knob over the bowl. just leave it like that over night. in the morning, the liquid in the bowl is whey. the curds in the cheesecloth will actually be a cream cheese which you can add fruits to and use on bagels and breads. That whey will last a while since you only use 1/4 cup per batch..

if you go on the WAPF formula page, there is a video at the top. It shows the whole process for making homemade formula, but if you go to 5 minutes and 40 seconds, she shows you how to make the whey. here's the link http://www.westonaprice.org/children...e-baby-formula
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote