View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Boys and nail polish

I feel silly that this is even bugging me, so I'm curious how others handle it. I am usually a frumpy mama and have recently been trying to feel pretty again. So I painted my nails magenta. Ds1 was super interested and asked me to paint his nails. I only had the pink, so I agreed to do his toe nails. I told him lots of people think pink is a girl color, but it was up to him. He still wanted them pink, so I did it. There are 2 little boys at preschool who are hypersensitive to "girl things" and "boy things" including colors and play. my ds has no clue and could care less. We havent ever forced gender and have no problem if he picks something pink or plays "girly." but now hes in the real world, so I'm struggling between not perpetuating gender stereotypes, allowing him free choice, and protecting him from bullies.

How do you handle these things? Is it fair to let I'm choose after I give the social warning? Let him so whatever and deal with social consequences as they come? I love that he is so unaware and wish it would stay that way.

As for his toes, the pink wore off and I let him pick a new color at the store yesterday. He wanted pink/purple sparkles, but I was able to steer him to the black with silver sparkles that I was buying for myself anyways.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote