View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what's your favorite vegetarian recipes?

I've been using our dutch oven to make different vegetarian chilis and indian curries lately to add variety to our dinners. It's a nice change of pace for us as DH is a strict vegetarian and a native Italian - (and I'm a lazy pescatarian who never gets around to buying fish...) so we eat a lot of pasta dishes for sure.

Some discoveries:

Roasted red peppers and chiles add a nice flavor to any bean chili recipe. Roast them yourself under the broiler till they blacken, throw them in a paper bag in the freezer and the skins slide right off after 5 minutes. I add them to my own adaptation to this recipe, which is a great starting point for spin-offs:
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...ckvegchili.htm

Eggplant - that scary, yet filling purple produce - cooks up well in a slow cooker or dutch oven with lots of garlic / onions (potatoes) and spices. For an italian-style sauce use: oregano, basil & crushed tomato. For indian curry style, spice with: cumin, garam masala, tumeric, chili powder. Serve over rice, couscous, pasta for a filling meal.

My best friends are dark, leafy greens like kale / spinach / chard / collards / rabe - Simplest prep is to heat a TBSP or two of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add crushed fresh garlic and let that flavor the oil for 1-2 minutes (do not let brown), then add washed, ripped up vegetable leaves, sprinkle with sea salt and cover. Once wilted, sautee and if you like, add some crushed red pepper flakes, Braggs (amino acids - like soy sauce but better flavor) or fresh lemon juice. Delicious and so healthy. Even my 2 year old eats this every day.

Baked sweet potatoes are easy to prepare and wonderful to eat. They keep well and can be used in a variety of dishes from burrito / leftovers wraps to chilis to soups, stews.

Roasted chickpeas are easy and really tasty - feels like snack food only healthy.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-sp...sted-chickpeas

When all else fails...eggs! We make quiches, scrambled, frittatas...possibilities are endless and delicious.

There are loads of great recipes out there. I never understand when my relatives and friends get stressed out over feeding vegetarians. To me, cooking meat is scary and a super pain to keep sanitary in the kitchen. Enjoy! You'll do great.
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote