View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Non-biased BF info

ME! haha I just have a bit of experience attempting to BF the first and successfully BF the second past a year.

With the first I was so overwhelmed and so 100% breastfeeding that I set myself up for failure. For some reason I do not produce enough milk to feed my babies exclusively and when I have to pump it drops even more. So when I had the issue with my first and started the cycle of more formula etc it made it worse and I felt like a failure. I ended up pumping exclusively for 6 months, gave her what I had stored for the next 3 months and supplemented with formula as needed. I felt horrible but I knew I did my best with what I had.

With DS I started out early with a LC and got lots of encouragement. I made sure I nursed him ALL THE TIME and we did great with me taking domperidone and letting him nurse as much as he wanted. I did supplement occasionally if I missed a dose of the meds but didn't see the supply drop until I had to go back to work and start pumping. I made myself a pact that I would continue to let him nurse as he wished and would supplement formula as needed and not worry about the rest. It has been a complete different experience. DS LOVES nursing and uses it as a comfort. I get to know that he's getting all the breastmilk possible and we aren't stressing over it. I am still nursing him at least 2 times a day and pumping when I can.

Formula-you are not a bad mom if you use formula!!! I will say that both my babies could not tolerate similac at all. It gave them horrible gas and they had reflux so it made the reflux worse. If you notice tummy troubles try a sensitive formula or a soy formula. Also if you are nursing cut back on how much milk you drink and be careful about gassy foods. Other than that I was lucky and we didn't have any food sensitivities.
Unless you are using organic, the store brand formula works just as well, although some stores have organic too. Babies r us, target, cvs, and walgreens all get their formula from the same manufacturer so it is safe to switch between these. They don't have an organic though.

DONT stress....stressing is your worst enemy. Whatever choice you make will be the right one for your family.

wow didn't mean that to be so long
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote