View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Two in one post: Tell me I am not a failure and would this be ok?

So we decided after sending my oldest to preschool that we wanted to homeschool. The school districts are not that great around here and we just felt that we could do better at home, plus some of the stuff going on in schools scares me (like middle schoolers getting pregnant on a regular basis!).

We found a pre-made Christian private school that we felt met our needs, and she did very well with it. She scored in the 95th percentile on her tests last fall, and seems to enjoy it.

Her sister, on the other hand, is my special needs child. PDD-NOS, anxiety disorder, selective mutism. We did Kindergarten this year. Homeschooling was NOT working for her. All of us were getting frustrated, she has issues focusing even with the flexible curriculum, and often she just doesn't "get it" and I don't know how to help. When we found out that she would potentially qualify for a scholarship that would allow her to go to a local "special needs" school, we jumped on it. This place is amazing - 2 teachers in every class, all special education teachers, the largest class is 15 kids. They do math and reading across grades so that they can work at the level they are at. All therapies are done in the room with all the kids so they can all benefit from it. The rooms are full with different aids for various sensory needs, etc.

Assuming that the scholarship goes through ok she will be going there in the fall. After their assessments they want her to "repeat" Kindergarten because they think the extra social skills they focus on in there will help her. Half of me is excited and so relieved to find something that I think will work for her, the other half of me feels like a failure as a homeschooling parent.

My son turns 5 Easter Sunday, and we were going to start Kindergarten in the fall. But in light of his sister going to Kindergarten we thought maybe we would wait a year (he is not mandatory age in our state until the 2014-15 school year) and just get some workbooks and such to "preschool" him. That would allow us to see how having one child in school affected everyone, and sort of ease him into it...is this a terrible idea?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote