View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies

It's true that pertussis is mutating but there is no new vax for the mutating strains. The reason you had to be revaccinated is because the shot doesn't work for very long at all. You start loosing immunity from the vax within a few months of being vax'ed.

To my knowledge they don't do this anymore.

Here's my problem with the vaccine. First of all, there has not been any long term studies showing it's safety. SO there is no way I would get the vax while pregnant. Second of all, they have shown that getting vax'ed before pregnancy protects babies more then getting vax'ed after pregnancy but even then it only reduces babies risk of contracting the illness by about 52%. Not that great IMHO. Here is a link to the article on it. Admittedly I haven't yet had the chance to read the actual study. The article only came out a few days ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/moms-whooping-...120834863.html

But if the vax wears off quickly and assuming there is a few months time between you getting the vax and then getting pregnant you won't be guaranteed to still be immune. Also I'm not convinced that this vaccine is a good thing from even a public health perspective. IMHO it's entirely possible that we have done more harm then good with it.

I think a much better option for pregnant women is to get their titers checked. If you contracted WC as an adult it's entirely possible you never knew it and immunity is likely lifelong. I am immune to WC but was still pressured by OB's to get the vax. I declined every time and probably would have even if I wasn't immune.
This is good info, but I'd also like to add that my entire family contracted pertussis this summer while visiting friends in Dallas, TX. The severity was DIRECTLY related to how long it had been since our last vaccination. My oldest son, husband and daughter had all been vaccinated recently and they had very little to no symptoms. My other two sons' vaccines were more than four years old, and they both had it pretty bad. I hadn't been vaccinated since I was a kid (and I was 32 by then) and wow, I had it so bad it was incredible. I see why it kills babies...I would have loooong coughing spells where I couldn't breathe, and I was SO tired for WEEKS because I couldn't sleep due to the coughing fits. Thankfully, all my family are pretty hard sleepers or else they'd have been kept up by me. When we finally figured out what we had (I had no idea we'd get pertussis since we'd been vaccinated and we didn't even know we'd been exposed for a while) we did go to the doctor and antibiotics did help speed the recovery by a few weeks.

Since I had no idea that we could've gotten pertussis since we'd all been vaccinated, I spent a lot of time in researching after that. It is a tough decision, the vaccination question. I will pray for you right now for wisdom in knowing what you should do!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote