View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What I learned from our local preschool for disabled kids....

I had to do a field study for college in a special education class I'm attending. I had to volunteer 15 hours to any local place that deals with disabled people, and we have a local preschool that is geared toward young children with disabilities ranging from speech, behavioral, handicaps, and more. Most of the kids have some sort of learning disablity that attend there, and the age group is 2-5.

The first day I went, they told me how they pride themselves on the healthy choices of snacks they provide for the kids. Without asking what kind, I just assumed veggies, crackers, fruits, etc. But after a few days of being there, no one would guess what I saw!!!

If the kids were good, they received jelly beans, candy corn, candy hearts, pop rocks, and yes marshmellows!!!! For snack time on the first day, the kids got to have 2 pancakes with high fructose corn syrup "maple syrup", and breakfast sausages. On another day, they got cheap cereal that had not so good ingredients! I don't even know the brand, but it's similar to the sweetened version of some sort of cheerios. And today, the kids got ramen noodles (full of salt and MSG).

These kids are pumped up full of meds from their disabilities and the last thing they need is a bunch of high fructose corn syrup, colors and dyes, msg, and preservatives, and nitrates!!

Because I was being graded on my observation, participation, and how I acted, I felt like I couldn't say anything. I watched after the kids got helping after helping of this crappy food, just before they were to load on the busses for home. Imagine how wild they are when they get there. My kids don't handle processed foods well, and I'm sure these little preschoolers couldn't either, but they are gone before the food is digested.

Also, the kids never have to wash hands unless they go potty. I'm such a germ a phob LOL! The kids have their hands in their noses, and mouths and share toys. The toys haven't been washed, and their "clean up" consists of a rag and dish soap. There's no disinfectant sprays, and there is dust on things that haven't been touched in a while.

I don't know about you, but if you're kids preschool or day care provides snacks, and you are picky on what your kid eats, make sure you get a detailed list of what they will be served.

I know I'll get some people responding to this thinking it's no big deal, but for me, I wouldn't want my kids having those foods especially at that young of age on a daily basis. (most of the kids attend every day since it's a special education classroom setting).