View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
It doesn't matter what brand, a belt positioning booster seat is not an appropriate seat for a child under 4. They just don't have the bone maturity for the seat belt to properly protect them. They also don't have the emotional maturity to stay in position. The Britax boosters also have a minimum age of 4.

As far as "generally known to be safe" seats, ALL seats on the market are generally known to be safe when properly used. They all pass the same testing. Some seats have better convenience features, better marketing, or better urban legends following them around and those things do not make them safer.

Lighter weight options for a harnessed seat for your DS would be:

Safety 1st Go 8 lbs - this seat could be a really good fit for your situation. It does require a top tether and the install is MUCH easier if you use the lower LATCH anchors instead of the seat belt to install. There is a tech on car-seat.org that is trying to sell one for $100 (I think)

Evenflo SecureKid 300/400 12.4 lbs can be found for under $150.

Evenflo SureRide 9 lbs - this seat is a convertible but it has higher top slots than any other seat other than the Frontier and can be found for under $100
Thank you! Those sound like much better options. I wasn't thrilled about going harness free. Amazon has the Evenflo SecureKid 300 for $99.99!

I don't know if all the cars we will ride in will have the tether or one that we can access. I know our car does but is that a standard option in all cars? The car that picked us up last week seemed to be about 10 years old.

I am going to get some more specific measurements on ds when he is home from school later. He has a very long torso and shorter legs and I know that can make a difference with car seats. I am also going to see what we can find in local stores for him to try out. Buy Buy Baby and BRU have options to test the seats in the store (they have the fake back seat so you can buckle it in yourself) and that would be the biggest help for him so we don't get stuck in the car for a few hours with him getting upset that the seat is uncomfortable. And really would help me too with practicing the install. I need to be able to install these seats in a minute or two with ds next to me in a stroller.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote