View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Holy good Hummus (semi-homemade... no tahini!)

I got this recipe from a recipe book by Sandra Lee (Semi-Homemade on Food Network). I CAN get tahini... but it's so expensive that most of the time I don't want to spend the money on it....

This hummus is WONDERFUL... even if you've never liked hummus before... sooo tasty...

4 pita pockets, each cut into 4 wedges
Olive Oil cooking spray
salt and pepper

1 large clove of garlic (we have the kind already minced... I just use about a tablespoon and adjust from there)
1 can (15.5 oz) of garbanzo (chick peas) beans (I've only used rehydrated dried beans and they are wonderful)
3 tbs. sour cream (KEY INGREDIANT!)
3 tbs. lemon juice (it says fresh.. but I use the old crappy bottled kind)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cumin (another KEY ingredient)
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

Put the pita slices on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes at 400 degrees.

Meanwhile, mince garlic (if you use fresh) in the food processor. Add everythign else... but save the olive oil. Process until ALMOST smooth. With machine still running add the olive oil until mixture is smooth. Serve with the pita chips still warm...

Holy macaral... this is soooo good... time to use up those WIC beans!!

The hummus can last in the fridge for 2 days if you cover it tightly... but I always rewarm the pita chips... it's not bad cold though!!

let me know if you try it!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote