Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Last chance

Have the damage to your nipples been healed? So at this point your main concern is his pulling back and "biting" down on the breast at feeds?

As another Mama said, if you can pump even an ounce after a nursing session, your supply is not low!
What made you think your supply is low?
Babies drain boobs better than any machine or Mama's hand can.

I believe a few things could be in factor here or in combination:
Fast letdown
Slight foremilk to hindmilk imbalance or baby not getting to hindmilk

These are easily fixable issues and once addressed may completely change your nursing relationship

What position do you nurse in? For fast letdowns, a more upright position is pretty key. A sitting over your leg facing you position worked well for us. When they were too small to sit by themselves it took both my hands to nurse, which stinks, one arm to hold them up and the other on my boob. Your anatomy might not require a hand on your boob which frees you up to do other things.
Sometimes babies are silly and won't nurse long enough, or there's too much foremilk in the way, to get to your fattening rich hindmilk. This could explain his percentile drop (have you discussed this with a lactation consultant?) I personally had an oversupply and a fast letdown with all my babies. This meant baby could not drink enough through the foremilk to get to the hindmilk, which caused belly upset/pulling/yelling/frustration. That's if they weren't drowned off my boob by the letdown first (which caused them to clamp down on me to slow the flow.)
Some Mamas can letdown into a towel or cup first to shed off a bit of formilk before baby latches, but I understand this is not a long term solution. It is better to ease your supply down to what he really needs. Please remember that nursing babies will adjust their needs sometimes weekly, even during different times daily! If he is latched on constantly, it does NOT mean you have low supply, he just needs Mama milk/love more at that time. Your body will make what he tells it to make, with sometimes too much extra.

I had to carefully implement block nursing to lower my supply. This is best done with a lactation consultant to help you along and fully describe the process because you can do more harm than good if it is not done properly. While my third child had never had a bottle, I did have all the same issues you are experiencing with her. Upright nursing positions and adjusting my supply to her needs fixed everything. We went from another miserable breastfeeding experience to nursing for two years exclusively.

On another note, while exclusively pumping is admirable, it simply is not worth the effort it takes. I attempted to exclusively pump for my second child after he was born with a posterior tongue tie. Our insurance and accessible doctors failed to help me at all. I EP'd for 8.5 months. I was hospitalized twice with life threatening mastitis. I was pumping every 3-4 hours around the clock for about 45 minutes per session (I don't respond amazing to even the hospital pumps). Plus bottle washing, pump part washing, crying over bottles of spilled milk, NO extra left for the freezer...Also to factor in, he was drinking 64 ounces per day which is just asinine and I have NO explanation for. He maintained a steady 35 percentile weight gain his first two years of life and has only recently jumped up around 50%(WHERE was he putting it all?!) I did more pumping than parenting and it was killing me. I threw in the towel at 9 months and bought organic formulas and goats milks, which we used until he was 18 months (Autism, would NOT eat solid food reliably.)

I wish you the best, and I hope I maybe had the simple answers for you!