Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Synagis....

My baby is now 6 weeks old (33 weeks corrected), and now is the start of RSV season as you all know. Are your babies qualified for synagis? Anyone not getting it for there little ones? The doc was gonna give it to Cameron yesterday, without even talking to me about it first, but I stopped him and said I was still doing research on it and that I'd get back to him.
I think we've decided to go ahead and get it. Have you guys got it yet? What was your experience?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Synagis....

My 27 week twins born 10-4 will get it. I have seen preemies and former preemies get very very very sick secondary to RSV and would never forgive myself if something happened to my boys. Since the shots are not formulated like traditional vacs (it is more of an antibody and is preservative free), I am less hesitant to give it.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?
We require parental consent as with any vac so no way a baby would receive it without the parents being okay with it.

As for where to get the shots, check with the local hossys, especially any children's hossys. My hossy does monthly 'clinics' where the shot is available.

My twins were early thanks to unstoppable PTL. I contracted regularly (2-4/hr) since 18 weeks. My cervix held out until an abrupt shortening at the end of my 26th week. I was admitted,spent some time on mag, and then transfered to antepartum on long term meds for the PTL. They obviously didn't work as I progressed preciptously the morning I delivered and ended up 8cm before anybody noticed. They were born 30 minutes later by CS. One is doing well and the other not so well, but we are hopeful at least one will be home by Christmas!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwinmom View Post
We require parental consent as with any vac so no way a baby would receive it without the parents being okay with it.

As for where to get the shots, check with the local hossys, especially any children's hossys. My hossy does monthly 'clinics' where the shot is available.

My twins were early thanks to unstoppable PTL. I contracted regularly (2-4/hr) since 18 weeks. My cervix held out until an abrupt shortening at the end of my 26th week. I was admitted,spent some time on mag, and then transfered to antepartum on long term meds for the PTL. They obviously didn't work as I progressed preciptously the morning I delivered and ended up 8cm before anybody noticed. They were born 30 minutes later by CS. One is doing well and the other not so well, but we are hopeful at least one will be home by Christmas!

My NICU does NOT require parental consent with synagis. It's considered "basic care" which we consented to from day one.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
My NICU does NOT require parental consent with synagis. It's considered "basic care" which we consented to from day one.
That is CRAZY! Makes me wonder what else they consider 'basic care'?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
irelandclover
Registered Users
seller

My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.
irelandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Leighjean
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover View Post
My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.
We were denied as well. Our pulmonologist recommended a low dose steroid through a chamber 2x a day to help keep his airway open in the event of any respiratory illness. My son had tracheamalasia and is showing signs of RAD
( reactive airway disease). He used the nebulizer A LOT last winter! We are hoping to be one step ahead with this treatment. The Dr said that here in NJ he sees preemies hospitalized with, or without Synagis. My son is 15 months (13 months corrected)
How did they diagnose failure to thrive? My son is gaining slowly! He is 16.5 lbs. Not on the charts yet.
Leighjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Leighjean
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover View Post
We were denied as well. Our pulmonologist recommended a low dose steroid through a chamber 2x a day to help keep his airway open in the event of any respiratory illness. My son had tracheamalasia and is showing signs of RAD
( reactive airway disease). He used the nebulizer A LOT last winter! We are hoping to be one step ahead with this treatment. The Dr said that here in NJ he sees preemies hospitalized with, or without Synagis. My son is 15 months (13 months corrected)
How did they diagnose failure to thrive? My son is gaining slowly! He is 16.5 lbs. Not on the charts yet.
Leighjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We were denied too. DFS was FTT, G tube, and had H1N1, and he STILL didn't get it. He was a 34 weeker.

He got RSV at 9 months old (Jan. 2009) and spent 8 days at the children's hospital with it. It was horrible. I would love to go back and let the Medicaid staff know what their denial did. Now, DFS has severe asthma, and at one point was on a neb 6 times a day last summer (4 albuterol and 2 pulmicort) plus prednisone to get it cleared up. He coughed til he vomitted. He still is on pulmicort daily, and albuterol as needed, plus a rescue inhaler.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-12-2010 at 11:44 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote