Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The battle of the bulge

My 5 year old refuses to wear a coat. We live in New England so it's getting chilly. He is in school for only 2.5 hours a day, but it's an older school and I'm not sure how reliable the heating system is there. DH gets him ready for school since I'm at work, but lately, the temperatures have begun to drop and he puts up a fight about wearing a coat. Usually we can compromise with him and he'll wear a fleece jacket, but today he flat out refused to wear anything.

Right now it is 49F. DH insisted on a coat or a jacket at least, but he threw a hissy fit and ended up going to school in only a long sleeved shirt.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? DH says he is much more stubborn with him than he is with me and the easiest thing to do was to say "Fine, go to school like that." But I don't want DS to think he can always get his way. And this might also involve his health.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's safer to not wear a coat anyway from a safety standpoint. Get a no sew tie fleece blanket and have him put it over himself when he gets in the car. He will be warmer with that than a coat anyway.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Re: The battle of the bulge

In our school district they go out for recess up until it is 20 degrees with windchill. I would say the car is not a big deal but going outside is. Will the school let him go out for reccess without a coat? I personally would have some consequence for not doing what he is told. My kids have tried this and I have taken away either a toy or activity for not listening. I am all for natural consequences as well but as it gets colder I would not let him out of the house without a coat. Good luck
ETA: I teach preschool and only have kids for 2.5 hours a day. We will go outside to play as long as it is 40 degrees out. I will not take kids that don't have coats out. They have to sit in the directors office until we come back in.

Last edited by thoennes6; 11-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would force him to at least carry one...just a light one. (so he can go out to recess) But, I wouldn't make him wear it. He'll figure it out eventually.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I would force him to at least carry one...just a light one. (so he can go out to recess) But, I wouldn't make him wear it. He'll figure it out eventually.
this is how I feel.

We're in Idaho and it's cold. and windy. And DD and I don't wear coats unless we're specifically going to be outdoors. For trips to the car or into buildings, I put a blanket on her in the car and call it good. Sometimes if it's extra cold, I'll put a hat on her, but I still don't usually put a coat on her.

so, have him take one for recess, but I wouldn't worry about it between the house and the car and then into school.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He doesn't get into the car seat with his coat. We put it on at home, then when he's in the car, he takes it off, gets strapped in and wears it backwards with a fleece coat over his legs, depending on the temps. He takes the bus home, though, and sometimes they have to wait a few minutes outside before the bus arrives.

DH is suggesting I give him "a talk" when I get home. It's been a bit of a battle to discipline DS by taking away things because my mother and sister both spoil him terribly. Even though I've requested they stop.

Perhaps providing a light jacket in his book bag would work best for us, just in case he realizes Mommy and Daddy were right and decides to put it on.

I'm just a bit too tired to function. Sleepless nights and full days at work with a baby on the way in 3 weeks is taking its toll on me.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Maybe hes just hot? I never wore a coat even in the winter as a kid and still dont. I'm super hot natured. I wear t shirts year round. It has to be like super duper cold before I even put on long sleeves. Just make him take it but he doesn't have to wear it unless he gets cold.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Maybe hes just hot? I never wore a coat even in the winter as a kid and still dont. I'm super hot natured. I wear t shirts year round. It has to be like super duper cold before I even put on long sleeves. Just make him take it but he doesn't have to wear it unless he gets cold.
Yes, he does get overheated easily. His head gets all sweaty at night and he sleeps with a light blanket. Good point.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy
Ds1 is the same way. I just pack a jacket in case but he often doesn't want anything.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hate coats and never wear one. I live in central Indiana, so it gets plenty cold here.

I'd dress him in a shirt and sweatshirt and make him carry one into school, personally. If he wears it, great. If not, coats aren't worth battling over, IMO. We are a "run for it" family.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote