Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kids opened their presents

And ruined christmas...

WWYD?

I feel like they should be punished but I'm not sure how. I don't want to take everything back. I'm tempted to say santa isn't coming.

Now I know it's partiality my fault for putting them under the tree so early but I really didn't think they would do this. They didn't wake me up this morning just came downstairs by themselves.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yikes! How old are they?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
4 year old twin boys
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They just opened a corner or small party of each gift so they could see what it is so they totally knew what they were doing. I'm so upset
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My kids opened their presents

When I was inkindergarten, my sister showed me a bunch of presents in the closet in the garage....On Christmas morning when I received those same presents from Santa - I was SHOCKED...but it also started our obsession with always finding the presents hidden in the house....one year when I was proabably ten sh - we were left home for a tiny bit and we snoped...we found them, but I guess they were also "booby trapped" and we got in trouble and were told everything would be returned. A lot of it did get returned...I got better at snooping.

Returning is an option....or...maybe put them all ...in full display.....up high on a shelf where they have to look at them every.single.day but not touch them or play with them.....how old are they? MAybe even tell them they will NOT be getting them for Christmas, and get them "necessities"...like socks, underwear, toothpaste, soap, etc to open on Christmas morning....and then in a week or something let them have their presents (if you really want them to have them)

ETA...Parker ( my only boy) is CRAZY about snooping and secrets, he can't keep a secret to save his life, and will snoop through everything to satisfy his "need to know".... Sometimes just "knowing" calms him down...as kids and even as adults my sister andI would ALWAYS tell each other what we were getting for Birthdays and Christmas and STILL we loved getting those gifts .... we just wanted to know. You could just act like it was no big deal and leave them "as is" ... it does ruin the fun but some people still enjoy a present een if they know what it is.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here

Last edited by ohgirlohboyohno; 11-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do they know not to do it? I would make them donate (or you return the ones they opened) if they know better. I would allow them to have other gifts, but not the ones they opened.

Edit: Especially since they they were being sneaky about it. Telling them they aren't getting them and then giving them those gifts later ruins your credibility as a parent. They would absolutely lose those gifts and not get them back.

Last edited by cdeweese; 11-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno
When I was inkindergarten, my sister showed me a bunch of presents in the closet in the garage....On Christmas morning when I received those same presents from Santa - I was SHOCKED...but it also started our obsession with always finding the presents hidden in the house....one year when I was proabably ten sh - we were left home for a tiny bit and we snoped...we found them, but I guess they were also "booby trapped" and we got in trouble and were told everything would be returned. A lot of it did get returned...I got better at snooping.

Returning is an option....or...maybe put them all ...in full display.....up high on a shelf where they have to look at them every.single.day but not touch them or play with them.....how old are they? MAybe even tell them they will NOT be getting them for Christmas, and get them "necessities"...like socks, underwear, toothpaste, soap, etc to open on Christmas morning....and then in a week or something let them have their presents (if you really want them to have them)
I used to snoop like crazy too until I got older and realized it took the fun out of it. That's a good idea though to give them non fun items
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So they're not completely open? Are these the gifts they get from you all, not Santa? If they're just partially open I would just wrap them back and put them under the tree. If they know, they know. Nothing you can do about it now, they just won't have any surprises, and honestly, at their age, it's probably not as big a deal to them as us. They'll be just as excited a few weeks from now, even knowing what they are, lol. As for Santa, I don't think I would tell them he's not coming. Maybe somebody else will have a better suggestion. I'm sorry your disappointed though. I would be too.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
So they're not completely open? Are these the gifts they get from you all, not Santa? If they're just partially open I would just wrap them back and put them under the tree. If they know, they know. Nothing you can do about it now, they just won't have any surprises, and honestly, at their age, it's probably not as big a deal to them as us. They'll be just as excited a few weeks from now, even knowing what they are, lol. As for Santa, I don't think I would tell them he's not coming. Maybe somebody else will have a better suggestion. I'm sorry your disappointed though. I would be too.
this

my DD is 4.5 & no way could I leave wrapped gifts under the tree for a month when she knew they were for her. she would open them. why? b/c she's 4 & honestly I'd see it as my fault for putting them out there.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
I agree with this.