Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
MomAshcraft
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Washing advice

My little one is one week old tomorrow. I am trying to patiently wait for her cord stump to fall off so I can start using our diapers :-)
I will be using prefolds and need some advice on how to wash them. I'm completely new to cd and need help
I have a top load washer. So what is a good wash routine to insure I'm getting the diapers clean.
Thanks so much for the help
MomAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Start simple. Cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, extra rinse. You can get more eloborate from there but only if you find you need to.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Washing advice

Friend with prefolds said I think regular wash, and add a rinse. I can't remember if a prewash or not. another whom I don't know washer type said 3 hrs to do several washes and rinses for no stinks. Depends on water type and detergent as well I think.

I have pockets and actually do well with presoak/wet pail with detergent and then regulatr cycle but as I am pregnant and have taken spills from my legs going out I just do rewash and regular cycle which is longer than a regular wash and add a rinse...not sure how that works but it is front load as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes that! Make sure you use enough detergent as well and don't be afraid of them. Prefolds are pretty difficult to ruin. You can also start CDing right now if you want. Simply fold the rise down and cover under the cord stump.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
simplykarenp
Registered Users
seller
seller

What she said!
Cold/cold light wash to rinse out the pee and poop. (You don't want to wash your diapers with the soap in dirty water)
Long hot/cold heavy wash with detergent. I put as much soap as I would use if I was washing dirty clothes.
Extra rinse. If I remember I add vinegar to the rinse because I have hard water and vinegar helps to remove any left over detergent residue.

I have an old top loader. I've only been cding for 3 months but I don't have any stink issues using this wash routine. I use only natural fiber diapers (prefolds, flats, workhorse fitteds)
simplykarenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
kinderreruns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you first wash you prefolds a few time before using them. If natural unbleached cotton it can take upto 5+ washes to get the natural oil/coating off.Pre-folds are EASY - I use a dry pail with baking soda sprinkles in to help with the smellies, pre-wash, wash & extra rinse. I have done this with a toploader as well as my current front loader. I do not have front loader diaper issues others have noted. A regular laundry soap like original Tide or Arm & Hammer can be used as well as the current hot diaper brand detergants. Oxyclean or Bio-keen can be used, however, some children can not handle these used to wash the nappies. DO NOT use brightners (some Tide and Arm & Hammer have brightners) or fabric softners for these coat the diapers making them absorb less. FYI: 4-8-4 layer pre-folds work best. Great second Osocozys can be purchased at http://www.clothdiaper.com/?gclid=CN...FQinPAodywIA2A Clothdiapers.com when they have them in stock. I am using red thread better fits and can not tell my 2nds from my 1st now that they have been washed many time. When I got them some of the 2nds had some black smudges that washed right off. I paid $15.49 a doz when I ordered 4 dozen compaired to the $27.90 for 4+ doz. or $33 for 1 doz.
kinderreruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
MomAshcraft
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks so much. You guys are awesome!!!