Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
e.e.peltz
Registered Users
seller

easy lunch ideas for nursing moms?

Any recommendations for easy-to-prepare lunch options that you can eat while nursing/tending a toddler? I'm guessing I won't have the time or energy to put much together for lunches once my second baby arrives, but I want to make sure my toddler and I are still eating healthy lunches. Thanks!
e.e.peltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sandwiches with deli meat, cheese, avacado, etc.
Hummus and veggies
English muffin pizzas
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: easy lunch ideas for nursing moms?

I really like Couscous with Tazaski sauce. It only takes like 3 minutes for the fast cook kind. I shred on carrots or add diced cucumbers whatever I have on hand.

You could also premake salads.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
e.e.peltz
Registered Users
seller

ooo yum, those are good ideas - thanks, guys!
e.e.peltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have more!

Baked potato (bake in microwave) with whatever toppings you like.
Chicken or tuna salad

Fruit and veggie trays you can buy pre-made and snack on them for a few days.

Just make sure you eat a lot of good protein and fat.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tuna macaroni salad, it's a Taste of Home recipe--should be on their website. I buy Wild Planet or Sustainable Seas tuna that's lower in mercury. The recipe makes two lunches, can be made ahead and eaten cold, and sticks to a fork well, so it's perfect. (I love green salads but I do tend to drop greens on the baby.)
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

One of my go-to's is peanut butter! PB and jelly or PB and banana with a little cinnamon! They're filling, packed with protein, easy eat/make and full of healthy fats! I am also on WIC so PB is something we have plenty of!
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.e.peltz
Any recommendations for easy-to-prepare lunch options that you can eat while nursing/tending a toddler? I'm guessing I won't have the time or energy to put much together for lunches once my second baby arrives, but I want to make sure my toddler and I are still eating healthy lunches. Thanks!
We do a lot of sandwiches or wraps (pb&j, tuna, lunchmeat; before going gluten free we'd also change up the type of bread/wrap so it wouldn't get boring, like onion rolls, kaiser rolls. Frenchbread), or "stuff on a plate." Lol. Really it's just random healthy foods from all food groups. One day it might be yogurt, carrots, apples, crackers, and nitrate/ite free lunch eat, another day it might be some leftover meat, grapes, celery, string cheese, and toast. We'll also do leftovers if we have any. Just depends on what we have and what I feel like. I only have one good cooking session per day in me, I save it for dinner
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

I try to always have leftovers in the house, but when all else fails I make a protein shake.
2btwinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Just went through this Momma. DS2 is almost 11 weeks and DS1 is 3.5 years. Prior to delivering, I froze 30+ pre-cooked lunches/dinners, and a ton of pre-cooked English Muffin pizzas with different toppings for lunch. We also kept the fridge stocked with healthy grab and eat items - fresh veggies for dipping, homemade hummus, fruit, boiled eggs, pre-cooked bacon, tuna/salmon salad, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. In the pantry we had plenty of granola, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, soup, dry cereals. For breakfast, I pre-cooked steel cut oats in my crockpot and froze in muffin tins, popped them out and stored in ziploc bags in the freezer to be microwaved - oats are great for milk production, BTW! We also did a lot of smoothies for lunch and breakfast... I keep the freezer stashed with frozen berries, peaches, overripe bananas. HTH!
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote