Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
polbell
Registered Users
seller

Redness with Flips

We just switched our 14 month old daughter to cloth and are using the Flips cover with the stay dry liner insert. I notice that after using the liner she gets progressively redder with each diaper change....I used a Glow Bug pocket dipe on her last night for the first time CDing overnight and it seemed to work really well with no redness this morning that I noticed....the label says it's polyester lined, with the insert being microfiber like the Flips liner......I am new to CD, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to sew some polyester into her Flip liners and make them pockets maybe?? Anybody else have this issue? I don't think it's my soap cause I make my own due to soap sensitivities in the house and she's been fine with it so far. Not sure which way to try.....
polbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is the glowbug fleece instead of suede cloth? Some babies don't tolerate one or the other.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could you try regular prefolds instead if the stay dry? We never had good luck with stay dry, but it was more an absorbency issue for us. And I can't remember, is there a right and "wrong" side to those? In other words you would want to make sure the microfiber side (if there is one exposed) is not touching baby's skin. Hope you get it figured out mama, we love flips!!!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

Definitely try another insert first. What about cotton, hemp, bamboo?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

This might not be it, but could you be putting the flip insert the wrong way? The first time I got one I thought the softer side would go towards baby's skin, but that was microfiber. The smooth suede side is for the skin!
Alikhlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikhlas View Post
This might not be it, but could you be putting the flip insert the wrong way? The first time I got one I thought the softer side would go towards baby's skin, but that was microfiber. The smooth suede side is for the skin!
This is what I was thinking too. If you have it the right way and that still is irritating, I'd try a flat or pf.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Redness with Flips

I agree about double checking the inserts. Microfiber should never touch the baby's diaper area and can create horrible rashes very quickly if it does.

Other than that, it's not unheard of for babies to have sensitivities to the BG suedecloth. It's not common, but definitely not uncommon either.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
polbell
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I did put the smooth side on her bum, so at least I got something right, lol! I tried her on cotton prefolds today and she did much better! Another mama friend of mine suggested sewing some fleece on or around the insert and trying that first to see if that helps too...she moves a lot and her insert tends to scrunch, so maybe some Velcro or snaps too to keep it in place,....if not I will be using the cotton I guess!! I picked up some PUL and fleece to sew my own diapers, just gotta find some time to try it now
polbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like she has a suedecloth allergy....my son had the same issue....I now use Capri inserts in my flip covers and no more redness or rashes. They are fleece topped or you can just use the side that is birdseye fabric only. :-)
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
foundrychick
Registered Users

My Mood:

I try to use natural fibers, since the only time I've seen redness has been with microfiber especially overnight. Good luck!! I try really hard to find cotton since use cotton is more absorbent...new hemp is more absorbent...
foundrychick is offline   Reply With Quote