Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I saw a thread where someone mentioned lip tie. I haven't heard of it before... I'm thinking my 5 year old and my 6 month old have it. My 5 year old does have some speech issues. He pronounces certain letters/sounds incorrectly.
Here's a couple photos of my 5 year old. Baby is sleeping but ill get photos of his when he wakes. Does this look like lip tie? Bad? Could cause speech issues?

After reading more it sounds like lip and tongue tie go together often. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Last edited by jes750; 02-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

No experience with tongue ties but yes that is lip tie. Both of my kids have it also.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Brayjjanna
Registered Users

Re: Is this lip tie?

Yes. It is. And I believe a posterior tongue tie. My 9 month old had both fixed at 7 months after screaming and colic and lots of gas issues. I took her to a ped dentist in albany New York. If you email him pictures he is great and emails you back the same day!! Kids teeth is his website.

That's why he has the gap in his front teeth. On the website I believe you can read all about them and types. Was he a colicky baby at all, reflux, gas? They don't always go hand in hand but if that is a posterior tongue tie normally have something.

Yes a tongue tie will cause speech issues. A friend just had her 9 year olds fixed because of speech issues.

Check out his site. Dr Kotlow is his name.

Last edited by Brayjjanna; 02-10-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Brayjjanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The tongue s probably causing the speech issues more than the lip tie, but yes, those are pretty obvious ties.
Here is a Facebook page with lots of more experienced people..
http://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

Oh and we just went up to Albany to Dr. Kotlow's office. He was really nice (although not super "fuzzy") and the procedure was less than 10 minutes. He was back to normal the next day, although he was in some pain the first day. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Holy lip and tongue tie Batman! Sorry, I couldn't resist. just curious but were you able to Breastfeed him?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
Holy lip and tongue tie Batman! Sorry, I couldn't resist. just curious but were you able to Breastfeed him?
this isn't really a " " matter for me...
Yes, he nursed for 2 years. Never once took a bottle- only breast.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
this isn't really a " " matter for me...
Yes, he nursed for 2 years. Never once took a bottle- only breast.
I wasn't giggling about the fact they have ties. I was trying to convey that I was joking by saying the Batman part. Sorry if i offended. My DD has lip and tongue tie and we've struggled terribly with breastfeeding.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone

I wasn't giggling about the fact they have ties. I was trying to convey that I was joking by saying the Batman part. Sorry if i offended. My DD has lip and tongue tie and we've struggled terribly with breastfeeding.
Oh ok. Ya, no issues nursing ds1 an no issues so far with ds3 and his seems to be even worse.
Eta: can issues nursing arise at any time due to this?

Last edited by jes750; 02-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Oh ok. Ya, no issues nursing ds1 an no issues so far with ds3 and his seems to be even worse.
Eta: can issues nursing arise at any time due to this?
No, nursing will probably be fine We had my son's revised mainly to prevent future issues with teeth decay, placement, and palate formation.

I just wanted to say also, for those of you going to talk to GP about this...you're unlikely to get anything other than "it's no big deal, just let them fall and break it". This was exactly what I heard from an ENT despite the fact that my son's was very thick and all of the way to his palate. She also said that his tongue looked short so I could just try and stretch it...despite the fact that there is NO evidence that tongues "stretch". They can learn to compensate for a restricted tongue, but it does NOT stretch on it's own. There is a growing awareness that getting LT and TTs taken care of in infancy can help proper facial and dental development, but it's not a common line of thought at this point. So do your own research first, then make a decision based on symptoms and risk assessment of the procedure vs. not having it done. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Yes, those are both ties.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote