Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
n_kragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Clothing Allowence

Here's the scenario - I am wondering what you would do.

2 kids in placement - 9 months and 21 months - brothers.

We get $425 per child for a clothing allowence, but it HAS to be used in the first 60 days of placement.

When the boys were initially sent to us it wasn't a legal placement. Parents agreed to have them with us. This was on Dec. 21. We weren't sure if it would be short term or what, so, I borrowed clothing for both of them. Now, they have been legally in placement through the county since January 4th.

I have enough clothes to get the 21 month old through the summer and have bought enough to get the 9 month old through the summer. I have a few hundred left for each of them.

So, what should I do?? Do I keep planning ahead and get 3T stuff for next fall/winter? The younger one will grow into the older ones stuff next winter. We have no idea if they will be here for 1 more month or 1 more year.

What would YOU do?? Thanks all.

SAH, Daycare Provider, Homeschooling, Mommy to Kaylee (11) Brooklyn (7) Emerson (5) Tatum (3) and Reece Addison (April 2012)
n_kragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Clothing Allowence

That is a lot of money. My neices clothing with 5 outfits, 2 dresses, and 2 pairs of pjs were $15 plus taxes.

I guess if it has to be spent on clothing I would go ahead and buy ahead on the projected sizes they would be expected to wear. It just seems like a waste of money.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, just buy ahead. Also, shoes, coats,etc.

Here, clothing allowance money can go to diapers,too. Not sure if it is the same there...
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Shoes - average is 3 months per 1/2 size. Sandals for summer if they are available yet.
Swim outfits - they are showing up around here.

425 seems like a lot for the tiny ones....for a teen I bet it would go real fast!
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW! That's a lot! I would plan ahead if they have enough for now and summer. The clothing will go with the kiddos regardless, so at least they will have them later.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. We are in the same state and get $150 initially IF the CW approves it. I'd buy ahead too. What else can you do but not use it? I would buy a coupe nicer name brand things that are more expensive just for the fun of it. I love Mini Boden's little boy clothing, but it's pricey to buy a lot of it. Unfortunately it's hard to estimate with shoes, but I'd try to estimate and get some sandals for summer.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I would also maybe get them each a nice backback with their initials emboriodered on them (so future foster siblings or whoever won't steal them) to use as "suitcases" for now, but as school bags later. I think LL Bean is a great brand. I know the kiddos I worked with when I was a case manager always carried their clothes in garbage bags . I mean, I know that is functional, but I couldn't help thinking it would make a child feel like trash

But yes, In that case I would get him 3T coat, snowpants, waterproof snowboots (double as snow boots and rain boots), swim shorts, sandals, etc. and I would get really nice brands so they WILL last to be handed down.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
n_kragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

$425 is just for the 0-11. ages 12-14 get 718. and 15-18 get $812. I wonder how it can be different in the same state???

SAH, Daycare Provider, Homeschooling, Mommy to Kaylee (11) Brooklyn (7) Emerson (5) Tatum (3) and Reece Addison (April 2012)
n_kragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I got nothing when we got DS. That's awesome. I'd buy ahead, including shoes, jackets, and coats.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

I'm still new to all this, but that sounds like a lot! Is this a yearly budget or how long is that supposed to last?