Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need an idiot proof way to make yogurt.

I want to make raw milk yogurt and I don't have a yogurt maker or a dehydrator that I can put jars into. I have tried to do it in my crock pot but I have had mixed results.

So how do you do it? My oncologist told me to try putting it in the oven but I am not sure how that works.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Google it. I did it on mt stove and it worked great!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I make mine using the stovetop/oven with great results.

Set the oven to preheat to the lowest setting you possibly can. Get out an individual carton of plain yogurt. eat half :-) put the other half in a bowl.
Dump milk in an ovenproof saucepan or pot and heat to 190 F, stirring. Once it reaches temp turn the oven OFF (still nothing in it) and move the milk off the burner. Stirring frequently, get it down to 110-115 F.
Once its cooled, put a small amount of milk in with the yogurt and stir gently - do not whisk. Then put the whole thing back in with the milk and stir. Put a lid on and put it in the (off) oven overnight. I leave the oven light on, it is supposed to add a tiny bit of heat but mostly it reminds me that there is yogurt in the oven! You may need to play with the timing of heating the oven etc, it may not even be really necessary if the house is warm, but I always do it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I need an idiot proof way to make yogurt.

Tooting my own horn but here it is.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1448696
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
Tooting my own horn but here it is.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1448696
That is a great tute but I want to make raw milk yogurt if I make it. For that I am told you can't go over 110 degrees and have it still be raw. DS is a bit allergic, we think, to pasteurized milk.

Would your method still work with raw milk yogurt?

BTW my oncologist is indian and she was the one that told me to just put it in the oven.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bookmarking
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can definitely make yogurt out of raw milk.

Only, you have to ensure that the milk is at room temp before you add the culture. However, dont leave it out without adding the starter for too long. (like you keep it out of the fridge for more than 4h) It will go bad since it already has lactobacilli/not heated to kill them.

It goes with the theory that the starter culture microbes need warmth to propagate and ferment the milk.

So, Im thinking just lukewarm on the stovetop? In summer, you may not need to even slightly heat it. Your raw milk might ferment faster/ not need overnighting, since it is already laden with the good microbes. Actually, if I'd access to clean raw milk, I would've not heated it too.

FWIW, pasteurization is different from just boiling it at home. While yes, both of them do kill microbes, pasteurization involves high heat boiling & immediate cooling of the milk to extend its shelf life.

Last edited by Bhavana; 02-21-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Raw milk turns into clabboard milk if it left out too long. I have done it. However that is still consumable. And I routinely leave out yogurt to make yogurt cheese with whey.

Hmm... I may have to try just bringing the milk to room temperature or slightly above. My house is normally about 72 and the kitchen is cooler because it is a european style kitchen (not open). I am getting my raw milk tomorrow and I am also getting yogurt along with it (not raw... that is illegal in PA, just the milk is legal). So I will have to play around with it this week and see what happens. I will post back after I do it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Raw milk turns into clabboard milk if it left out too long. I have done it. However that is still consumable. And I routinely leave out yogurt to make yogurt cheese with whey.
You could make sour cream with clabbered milk.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Will be waiting up