View Poll Results: Would you use donor milk from a mother who smokes cigarettes?
Yes! Breast milk is that important 14 11.20%
No! Cigarettes are that dangerous 91 72.80%
I would never use donor milk 16 12.80%
Other 4 3.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

for whatever reason. Be it low supply, unsafe medications, breast reduction or the plethora of other reasons, would you give your baby donor milk from a mother who smokes?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

I chose other - I gave formula, but would give breastmilk from a smoker.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have a lot of trusted bfing friends who I'm sure would provide milk if I needed it. However, if it was milk from a smoker vs. formula I would pick the smoker's milk.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My LC said breast milk is best for baby weather the mom smokes or not.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.
What? There are women (like myself) who physically could not provide enough breastmilk for my child (due to PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue). So, if you can carry a baby, it is not a given that you can breastfeed.

Sorry, I just get very heated about this because my DD could have died if not for formula (she lost 1.5 lbs in a week and was starving as I tried to nurser her round the clock). And believe me, all the drugs, supplements, water, pumping, old wives tales and LCs in the world could not make my breasts produce more milk. I chose I would not use donor milk, because it personally makes me uncomfortable and I think milk from a smoker would be more dangerous than formula.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMae12

What? There are women (like myself) who physically could not provide enough breastmilk for my child (due to PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue). So, if you can carry a baby, it is not a given that you can breastfeed.

Sorry, I just get very heated about this because my DD could have died if not for formula (she lost 1.5 lbs in a week and was starving as I tried to nurser her round the clock). And believe me, all the drugs, supplements, water, pumping, old wives tales and LCs in the world could not make my breasts produce more milk. I chose I would not use donor milk, because it personally makes me uncomfortable and I think milk from a smoker would be more dangerous than formula.
Right. This is why I would question it. It is INCREDIBLY rare for a woman to not make enough milk. I would want to know why. I have very close ties to an amazing mama whose daughter was born a month after my first. She had hypoplasia and couldn't provide enough milk. I understand the horrors of the weight loss and and ftt. I pumped and provided 100% of that sweet baby's supplementary milk for two and a half years. I would gladly do anything in my powers to help another truly struggling mother provide breastmilk.

I say all of this as a mother who would not give up breastfeeding for anything. I did the bleeding/skin loss, awful pain, being admitted for serious mastitis, and pumping every two hours for four years, only to continue by choice. As someone who dealt with a very serious and life threatening feeding and swallowing disorder, severe ppd, while never successfully nursing my first baby. Yup. Breastmilk is very, extremely important to me.

Last edited by Kätzchen; 03-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Right. This is why I would question it. It is INCREDIBLY rare for a woman to not make enough milk. I would want to know why. I have very close ties to an amazing mama whose daughter was born a month after my first. She had hypoplasia and couldn't provide enough milk. I understand the horrors of the weight loss and and ftt. I pumped and provided 100% of that sweet baby's supplementary milk for two and a half years. I would gladly do anything in my powers to help another truly struggling mother provide breastmilk.

I say all of this as a mother who would not give up breastfeeding for anything. I did the bleeding/skin loss, awful pain, being admitted for serious mastitis, and pumping every two hours for four years, only to continue by choice. As someone who dealt with a very serious and life threatening feeding and swallowing disorder, severe ppd, while never successfully nursing my first baby. Yup. Breastmilk is very, extremely important to me.

Its not INCREDIBLY rare. It happens all the time. Half the women on the thread are telling you that it happened to them.... that doesn't seem very rare to me. This attitude that if you're struggling you're doing it wrong doesn't help anyone. Bad moms are not moms who don't breastfeed, bad moms are the ones who don't feed their babies.

*ETA- I would give formula over smokey donor milk FOR SURE. As it stands a very good friend of mine is already saving up a freezer stash for my baby on the way... her husband smokes, but not in the house and I know what she puts in her body. I don't think I could ever take human milk from someone I don't know very well..... and yes, I do know the cow who give us our cow milk.

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 03-13-2013 at 05:39 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee

Its not INCREDIBLY rare. It happens all the time. Half the women on the thread are telling you that it happened to them.... that doesn't seem very rare to me. This attitude that if you're struggling you're doing it wrong doesn't help anyone. Bad moms are not moms who don't breastfeed, bad moms are the ones who don't feed their babies.
In America it must be more common for some reason. Then again, I'm thinking its not incredibly common to cloth diaper either, yet most people on this board do/have.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee

The stats I was given in my LC certification is less than 2 percent. Less than 2 percent of the worlds population can NOT breastfeed. Back in the day this would be 'survival of the fittest' and their offspring would likely not survive. Thank God we have other means these days.

Also, times have changed. Biologically 'most' women CAN nurse. But it's not always the body that's the issue. Little one may have issues. Mom might have mental blocks or stressors. Mom may not have confidence or support. Dr's offer I'll advice regarding scheduling and such.

Soooooo many factors. It's pointless to try to weed thru who 'should' nurse. The only one who 'should' nurse is the mom who wants that relationship. It's now a relationship. Not the only method of feeding. As adults we 'should' eat while foods. We don't. We stuff our faces with all kinds of crap.

I don't judge moms who don't nurse. I will help those who want it. And most women who want it bad enough succeed. But that's not all women. Some really do have an inability. What causes the inability is sometimes up for debate. But it's really their own business. Not ours.

Also; nicotine does travel thru Breastmilk. But it is compatible with nursing (much like the meds c-section moms use) mom should wear a coat, smoke outside, nurse after nicotines 1/2 life and it's considered okay.

Last edited by keen1981; 03-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote