Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm running low on milk

I started building a freezer stash at 3 weeks pp. But then, my mother tossed out the first 3 weeks worth of milk saying they were spoiled (they weren't, but baby refused the bottle so she assumed the older milk was spoiled and tossed them).

I'm a FTWOHM and I've been pumping less milk this week because I've been a bit stressed and have had late meetings almost ever day. Once or twice I had to miss a pumping session because of my hectic schedule.

DD also hit a growth spurt and has been drinking more. I tried to pump at home every 2 hours but couldn't even get half an ounce yesterday. On a typical day, with 3 pumping sessions at work, I will get 9-10 oz, with almost 5 oz the first time I pump in the morning.

Today, I only got 3 oz. I only have 10 oz in the fridge for DD and I'm worried that she will not have enough tomorrow. DH stays home with her but works nights, and I don't want him to deal with a crying, fussy baby demanding more milk.

I've been taking Fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and drinking tons of water. I know this worrying isn't helping out, but I can't help it. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Would you offer formula? DD has a dairy sensitivity so what would be the best kind if I were to go that route?
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I'm running low on milk

I would offer formula especially if you feel like your DD will be hungry. Breastmilk is great yada yada but baby needs to eat. I am not sure what brand would be best maybe a soy based one? Sorry your mom threw out your milk. I would have cried!

Also maybe once you aren't worrying about if your DD will have enough milk your output will increase. When I first started pumping I was so worried about getting enough that I was barely able to pump anything. Once I had formula to fill in the gaps and didn't have to worry I feel like I was able to pump more and then after a week I was pumping enough to stop the formula.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
kaylamae
Registered Users
seller

Go and get some Brewer's Yeast flakes..mix with grape juice or something similar to mask the taste. I had surgery after my 2nd and my milk was drying up ...I took 2 glasses of the yeast and 5 hours later my breasts were full of milk. Works so well!
kaylamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
kaylamae
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the formula too..I wouldn't do a cow milk base though...my son threw up and threw up when we tried that when I was trying to feel in the gaps.

My MIL threw my milk away too...I was so angry and upset. Pumped milk is like gold. Sorry you are going through this.
kaylamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Call and get a script for reglan or domperidone. I use reglan and it has allowed me to keep up with DS milk needs for 11 months.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Call and get a script for reglan or domperidone. I use reglan and it has allowed me to keep up with DS milk needs for 11 months.
agreed! worked for me several times. and I would NOT give formula. that just starts a slippery rope of a whole slew of issues. try goats milk if you must. there is also a herbal tincture mixture you can take that boosts milk. mothers milk tea is also good.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definatly get a non-milk based formula to help get you through this slump. A fussy, crying, hungry baby is not going to help your stress level. I would mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM so the taste isn't completely different.

I had to do this with my first two kids. I just could not pump enough at work to keep up.

I am sorry your mom through out the milk.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definatly get a non-milk based formula to help get you through this slump. A fussy, crying, hungry baby is not going to help your stress level. I would mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM so the taste isn't completely different.

I had to do this with my first two kids. I just could not pump enough at work to keep up.

I am sorry your mom through out the milk.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

I struggle w/ supply and have noticed an increase taking brewers yeast regularly. I also pump after each nursing session. Grape juice and oatmeal w/ brown sugar mask the taste well. It's pretty pricey, but about the same as a can of formula. Use the formula and do what you can to increase supply. Just make sure you are stimulating your body still when you give a supplement. I think that knowing my baby is not hungry and satisfied helps ease my anxiety. Show yourself some grace and know that you can only do your best
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

O ... and I would be beyond irate for someone to have thrown my hard earned liquid gold in the trash!! Grrr!
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote