Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Tell me about your 1 hr glucose alternative

Since I'm overweight they make me to the 1 hr GTT twice, once at 12 weeks and once at 28 weeks. I really really really really really despise this test. I always pass and I'm always sick for a full 24 hours after taking the test. I've keep seeing posts with mamas who ate jelly beans or mamas who checking their fingerstick a whole bunch. If you did an alternative, what exactly did you do?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
WVflipflopmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I didn't have the option of the alternative, but I did do the test at 12 and 28 weeks. I hope you get some good answers. I did semi-ok with the test at 12 weeks, but the 28 week test was horrible and I was terribly sick after.
WVflipflopmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your 1 hr glucose alternative

Yuck I personally didn't do the test at all cuz my OB felt my chances of gd are so low it wouldn't be worth the sugar load. But my friend failed her 1 hr test and had to do the 3 hr. they let her eat 4 full size Hershey chocolate bars instead of the drink. But she said it was awful too I am sorry. I hope you find a not so awful alternative that won't make you feel sick.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

My midwife has me come in first thing in the morning and have my first draw then I go eat breakfast of like pancakes w/syrup, eggs, bacon, juice then come back for the second draw.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

My midwife did mine as well...I just ate a bowl of granola with milk and juice that was equal to the sugar dose. Much better than last time when I had to drink that nasty stuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was able to do an alternative this pregnancy. My dr had me test my blood sugar four times a day for a month.

That's a fasting, after breakfast, after lunch, and after dinner. It was pretty clear a week into that my body wasn't handling things well.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
mommy2eli
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
Yuck I personally didn't do the test at all cuz my OB felt my chances of gd are so low it wouldn't be worth the sugar load. But my friend failed her 1 hr test and had to do the 3 hr. they let her eat 4 full size Hershey chocolate bars instead of the drink. But she said it was awful too I am sorry. I hope you find a not so awful alternative that won't make you feel sick.
I am a true chocoholic and I can't even imagine eating for full size Hershey bars in one sitting. Eww! I also got lucky this time around and didn't have to take the test at all. Due to my daily diet and amount of weight that I had lost/gained, my OB was not concerned about me getting GD this pregnancy.
mommy2eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My midwife had me drink two juice boxes.

My instructions were to eat a normally up until the test, avoiding sugary foods. Then drink the two juice boxes within 5 minutes. (No more food after that but drink plenty of water as usual.) Tested an hour later. It was sooooo much better than that gross syrup drink!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just do a finger stick. eat normal meal. test when they come which was 2 hours after eating.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I declined the test since I have never had a problem, but my dr wasn't good with that since having twins increases your chance for gd. Our compromise was me to get a fingerprick no fasting blood sugar at every appt. I much prefer that; the test always made me soooo sick. And everything has been perfect with that, and she feels better. I wasn't ever worried about it.