Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Zipfelmuetze
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pertussis Vaccine

Who got the Pertussis vaccine during pregnancy? Who got theirs right after labor?
Zipfelmuetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Pertussis Vaccine

I really thought about this one... I almost got it during pregnancy but only because I garden and ton and have not been up to date on tetanus. After a bunch of reading and thinking I just dont feel like there has been many studies done of the affects on a growing baby - so, I am going to take the risk and wait till after birth. I TRY to wear gloves when gardening but oh how I love being bare foot and having my fingers in the soil...
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
I really thought about this one... I almost got it during pregnancy but only because I garden and ton and have not been up to date on tetanus. After a bunch of reading and thinking I just dont feel like there has been many studies done of the affects on a growing baby - so, I am going to take the risk and wait till after birth. I TRY to wear gloves when gardening but oh how I love being bare foot and having my fingers in the soil...
I've probably had it and was exposed to it when my kids got the disease 9 years ago. I did not get any vaccines during or after my children were born. I don't think I was offered any. May have though and just don't remember.

I was just wondering what pertussis has to do with gardening with or without gloves.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

I've probably had it and was exposed to it when my kids got the disease 9 years ago. I did not get any vaccines during or after my children were born. I don't think I was offered any. May have though and just don't remember.

I was just wondering what pertussis has to do with gardening with or without gloves.
The tdap vaccine (the one given to adults) has a tetanus AND pertussis vaccine combined, along with diphtheria. Gardening = potential tetanus exposure.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
The tdap vaccine (the one given to adults) has a tetanus AND pertussis vaccine combined, along with diphtheria. Gardening = potential tetanus exposure.
Do they not give just the tetanus by itself?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Do they not give just the tetanus by itself?
You can at certain places but not at my hopspital, they said the do not even carry it... I dont think I would get it anyways - well that is until something started to stiffen up
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

The pertussis vaccine has tetantus shot in it... Most people think you get tetanus from rusty nails but really it is from contaminated soil - so garden is a risk (and I bite my nails leaving open sores... bad, I know!). Of course if you step on a dirty, rusty farm nail on the ground it is probably pretty contaminated too
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
The pertussis vaccine has tetantus shot in it... Most people think you get tetanus from rusty nails but really it is from contaminated soil - so garden is a risk (and I bite my nails leaving open sores... bad, I know!). Of course if you step on a dirty, rusty farm nail on the ground it is probably pretty contaminated too
Tetanus can only live in an anaerobic environment, so simple gardening is not risky. As long as a wound is able to be cleaned and opened, there is little risk of infection with tetanus. This is why puncture wounds are more worrisome.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Zipfelmuetze
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is indeed such a hard choice. My pediatrician brought it up at our first meeting and my O.B. has never brought it up. Now I can't wait to ask my O.B. at my next appointment about what she thinks.
Zipfelmuetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I got mine after giving birth. That was when my MW offered it. I was very fine with doing it. Infact, everyone in my family got that vax before the baby came to protect him. Even DH got it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote